Superdrive VERY loud and VERY slow on SR macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chunkdude, Dec 3, 2007.

1. chunkdude macrumors newbie

so ive got an SR macbook, 2.2, 160, 2 gigs of ram. when i put a dvd in, if its a movie it loads up just fine no problem. if i put in a data disc, it takes about 30 seconds for the icon to show up on the desktop, this is after it "revs" up about 5 times. then when i go to open the disc in finder or files on it the drive revs up slightly and then makes a VERY loud clicking/ticking noise a couple times a second for about 30 seconds before the files im accessing load.

also noted, these ticking sounds get faster and faster as the time goes by. the only way to stop them is to his the eject button while the file is loading, it doesnt eject the disc, but it does stop the noise and eventually the file loads (disc only ejects if i close down whatever file im looking at)

so is this normal, does it need to be fixed, am i doing something wrong. thanks in advance

2. chunkdude thread starter macrumors newbie

and also if the computer is in sleep mode and i have a data disc in, when i take it out of sleep mode, i get a pattern of quiet rev then a beep that repeats for 30 seconds to aminute, and then eventually ejects the disc. wtf.