Superdrive vs. double-layer SD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PowerBookRelic, Mar 13, 2008.

1. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

Well, I have been reading all the posts about calibrating your battery and the advantages that it has. My laptop is almost 4 yrs old and I have only done this once and my battery health is 86% and I have posted 194 cycles. Since i want to calibrate my battery, I looked at the Apple website, but have run into a small snag. There are two methods and to differentiate, I need to know what type of SD I have. Now, how do I tell the difference between SD and double-layer SD? My model # is A1095, and looking on the box it only says Superdrive. Also, running a search online, I get this (for media options):

4x/8x/16x/8x/24x DVD-R/CD-RW SuperDrive

My computer is a PB G4 1.5 GHz, and I am wondering if anyone can enlighten me- would it explicitly say double-layer, or is it implied, or differentiated by read/write values?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You can burn double layer DVD's with a double layer superdrive.

3. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

It will explicitly say Double Layer (or DL)

4. PowerBookRelic thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks - Since I haven't seen the words double-layer anywhere, I am assuming that this is just your standard issuse SD. Now time to calibrate my battery.

As I am not familiar with battery %, how is 86% given the age of my comp? It is mostly plugged in, so I didn't assume my battery was getting too bad.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't think any PowerBooks had double-layer drives on them. The Mac Minis barely got them before the Intel switch (it was one of those "quiet" upgrades). A DL Superdrive will tell you in System Profiler. It will probably say DVD+R DL 2.4x. I think that was the speed of the first ones.