Superdrive & white unibody

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Big Ron, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Big Ron macrumors 6502

Big Ron

I have an aluminium Superdrive that works perfectly on my iMac, the problem is that when I plug it into my 2009 A1342 white unibody MacBook I get the error message that its not supported:confused:

Has anyone had a similiar message and if so how did they deal with it?

I would like to remove the MacBooks internal Superdrive and transfer the HDD to it (via a caddy) and replace the HDD with a SSD:cool:

2. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

I don't get it. Why do you want the SuperDrive to work in the macbook, if you want to replace it with an HDD? Am I reading something wrong here?

3. Big Ron thread starter macrumors 6502

Big Ron

No your not reading it wrong, I havent explained it all that well.

I want to replace the original HDD with a SSD.
    I want to replace the original internal Superdisc with the HDD (using a caddy)

That bit shouldn't present any problems however, recognising the I might want occassional access to optical media, I tried my Apple USB Superdrive but got the error message.

The external Apple Superdrive works perfectly in my iMac (and a PC Laptop)

Hope that reads a little better.

4. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

OH, sorry. I did misread it. I thought you were saying that you trying to install the imac's built in SuperDrive, but you were talking about the USB one.

Apple USB SuperDrives only work on computers that don't come with a built in one such as macbook airs, post 2011 mac minis, and post 2012 macbook pros and iMacs. Basically it isn't compatible with your mac, like the message said.

This WILL work. Just put the original SuperDrive from your macbook into this enclosure (or something similar, just make sure it is mac compatible:

http://www.amazon.com/SuperSlim-opt...03684934&sr=1-2&keywords=SuperDrive+enclosure

5. Big Ron thread starter macrumors 6502

Big Ron

Thanks 53kyle - excellent advice.

I might get the external enclosure and use the Superdrive for the occasional iMac use:)

6. reco2011 macrumors 6502a

Just tested mine with my BlackBook (2,1) and it didn't even recognize the drive (appears there was no power as it wouldn't even accept the DVD).

7. MacPC macrumors regular

There is a much easier way to do this, http://www.tuaw.com/2012/04/02/use-the-macbook-air-superdrive-with-any-almost-mac/

8. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

I didn't know that. What a bleedin' ridiculous (and wholly artificial) limitation.

9. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

merrickdrfc

AFAIK it's to do with the power that can be outputted via USB, the original MBA had USB's that had higher power outputs to support the external Superdrive. Guess machines with no Superdrive (pretty much all of the current lineup) have the required USB power output

10. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Ah, that makes sense, but if this is the case then it's weird that the restriction can be circumvented by editing a plist.