Superdrive woes!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jackcsikay91, Jan 19, 2014.

1. jackcsikay91 macrumors newbie

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. I cannot seem to find a definite answer to my question!

I'm a complete Apple virgin other than my 5s. I've been given a iMac G5 (20'', 2GB RAM, 500GB HDD - upgraded).

Anyways, my question is this. The superdrive is supposed to burn DVD-R & DVD+R, yes? Well, I've been trying with no success to burn something in disk utility.. I have a pack of brand new TDK DVD+R disks, alas none will burn.. I get errors ranging from: laser power calibration, medium write error, or the drive can't respond or something?

I tried Toast, same sort of thing, and error of 0x03 iirc comes up!

It burns CD-Rs perfectly, reads burnt DVD-R & DVD+R and plays DVDs great..

I've tried the compressed air in the drive trick - no luck
    I've tried something about the international, changing language or something - no luck

Only thing I haven't tried is a different brand of DVD. But I'm not holding out much hope to be honest.

Anyone else had this issue, and anyone found a solution?

It's a Matshita drive and I'm running 10.4.11 (trying to update to 10.5, but can't burn the bloody disk!!)

Cheers!

2. Bear macrumors G3

Depending on what model iMac G5 it is, it may only be able to burn DVD-R discs and not DVD+R discs. A 1.8GHz 20" iMac G5 can only burn DVD-Rs.

3. jackcsikay91 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Bear macrumors G3

That should burn both DVD+Rs and DVD-Rs. There's a possibility that the laser for burning discs is no longer working.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Here's how you can check what capabilities your superdrive has:
    Go to About this Mac under the Apple Menu.
    Click More Info…
    That opens your System Profiler, so click on the Disc Burning tab
    Look next to DVD-Write, which will show info about what your particular burner can support. As was pointed out, some super drives from that era do not burn DVD+R - but will always burn DVD-R…
    Early G5 iMac super drives may not burn dual layer DVD+R, but later G5s have that capability, too.

Your G5 2.1 GHz (has a camera on the front bezel, too, which distinguishes that model immediately), should burn anything.

6. jackcsikay91 thread starter macrumors newbie

If the laser was at fault, would the CD-Rs also fail in burning?

7. Bear macrumors G3

CD-Rs and DVD+/-Rs use different frequency lasers for burning so it's possible for one to work and not the other. The same is true for reading CDs and DVDs - one could work and the other not.

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

It's also a 9-year old burner, and if the previous owner burned a lot of disks, then the drive can be replaced with a newer, more reliable drive.
    Something like:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MIMACSD8XDKA/
    Not so simple to replace on your iMac G5 iSight model, but doable...

9. Fishrrman macrumors G3

The cheapest and easiest solution is to buy an EXTERNAL USB CD/DVD burner and plug it in. You can find these for $25 (US)

There's no point in wasting the time and effort to replace the internal CD/DVD drive in an old iMac if it's no longer working properly.