Superdrive woes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbrown, Feb 27, 2009.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Been getting the dreaded " The disc can't be burned, because the device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media. "

Were there any fixes for this - or is it new drive time?

Has anyone got the link that shows how to disassemble a MBP 2.4 ?

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

There have been a few times that different brand of media have caused this error so would be worth trying at least one other brand to troubleshoot, but in my experience the "unable to calibrate" issues have indicated a hardware failure of the drive itself.:(

3. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Cheers - I've tried a few different DVD brands - no joy. Although it will burn to CD.

4. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I got the same error and tried different brands as well. From what I can remember you have to set a maximum speed other than "maximum possible" or what it's called.

5. gpeden macrumors regular

Recently I started to make a bunch of coasters with a new bundle of DVD's before I dug out my CD/DVD cleaning disk, which made it right. Worth a try....

Cheers!

Glen

6. Moriarty macrumors 6502

I got that error, as well as having difficulty reading audio CDs. Had my drive replaced (was still under warranty). If you're in warranty, getting it replaced is a safe option.

AFAIK those disc drive cleaners are very dangerous for slot-loading drives, they always get stuck.

If it dies completely, out of warranty... well, external drives aren't that expensive.