Superdrive wont keep discs in

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by glassmen07, Jan 31, 2009.

1. glassmen07 macrumors member

So I've recently been trying to burn my ubuntu.iso to a CD, but every time I insert a blank CD the superdrive holds it for a few seconds then just spits it back out. I've tried to burn it with Disk Utility and Toast 9, but it just says it's waiting for the Superdrive.. then it shoots it out. Anyone have an idea?

Macbook Pro 2.2ghz model

2. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Could your eject button on the keyboard be stuck down?
    Does it just eject blank CDs, or any CD you try to load?
    Morod

3. oneEG6 macrumors member

Could be a bad superdrive. Try a few other disc types/brands to make sure, and if you get the same result I'd go to the closest Apple store for some Genius help.

4. glassmen07 thread starter macrumors member

Well I don't know what it was. I had a Sony blank DVD and TDK cd that both refused to be read. So I drove 40 miles from school to the nearest Apple store, put the discs in to show the genius what I meant, and it worked perfectly.

Unsolved Mystery ha

5. Wikinerd macrumors 6502

It may also depend on what applications you have open...

Sometimes the app "Burn" may reject discs, sometimes Disc Utility rejects others... Unsolved Mystery indeed.

6. glassmen07 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah at first I thought it was the discs, but nope.. I used Disk utility and Toast 9.. both rejected. Then all of a sudden, both accepted. Ohh weeelll

7. oneEG6 macrumors member

Is it an iMac? The only thing I can think of is possibly resetting the SMC, which was probably done after unplugging your computer and bringing it into the Apple store.