Superdrive - worth it or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by eckthroi, Jun 4, 2012.

1. eckthroi macrumors regular

I have been wanting to watch movies on my Air. I do not watch movies twice normally and so buying them through itunes makes no sense. Rent them through itunes also seems to not make sense since I can get the same 4.99 movie rentals from redbox for little more than a buck. My question is this - Is the Apple superdrive worth the 80 bucks or is there a cheaper and better alternative that works nicely with the Air?

I have the last updated version 1.6 i5

Thanks in advance for any help you may offer.

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

You can get external DVD drives for less than half that price if you look at newegg.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I really like my Apple drive, it is sleek and travels easily
    And it works really well

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I loved mine except I used it maybe twice. I sold if off for a pretty fair discount; you can pick them up much cheaper than retail nowadays.

5. Mikey-Mike macrumors member

Mikey-Mike

6. kyjaotkb macrumors 6502a

you can get an external USB to ATA DVD drive enclosure for $10 or less on eBay/Amazon.

you can get a DVD burner for free from any old PC laptop collecting dust in your/your friend's attic.

Even if you have to buy it you should find it for 10 bucks on eBay/Craigslist.

So all in all less than $30 tops.

Granted, it will not look as sleek as an original Superdrive but it will just work, with any Mac or PC. And you'll probably use it only 3-4 times a year so it's OK. You can even go for a Blu-ray combo burner/player for less than the price of a Superdrive !

7. eckthroi thread starter macrumors regular

ok I was curious about the blu-ray thing. I watch movies often as I work 12 hours from 11pm - 11am - with 8 of those hours just trying to stay awake. My actual work doesnt begin till around 7am so I am trying to fill in time in-between. With this in mind - what eternal usb drive is the most reliable?

8. Techwriter macrumors regular

I can recommend this one also. I bought it for the 2011 MBA 13" and it has worked great. While you might find one cheaper, the nice thing about Amazon is if you don't like it, they have a great return policy.

9. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Superdrive is totally worth it. I picked up a spare superdrive at half price for being open box so there's deals to be had if you keep an eye out.

I still find many uses for a superdrive so it a nice to have one on hand when needed.

10. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

11. darkheroz macrumors member

12. Mikey-Mike macrumors member

Mikey-Mike

Burning DVDs also I have a lot of software that came on disk if I ever have to reload my system.

13. darkheroz macrumors member

DVD and CD go to the past, like Floppy Disks. Everything is in the cloud now :)

14. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

You could just get a third party DVD drive, it'd work just as well (same parts inside, really) but for a much cheaper price. A bare DVD drive costs about $30, and I don't think the casing & USB plug would add more than a few bucks to the price.

15. kyjaotkb macrumors 6502a

Burning iMovie projects to friends, backing up photos safely (last time a thief broke into my house, he took the computers and external hard disks too... didnt touch DVD-Rs), installing programs, burning mp3 CDs for the car...

16. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia