Superdrive - worth it or not?

eckthroi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
I have been wanting to watch movies on my Air. I do not watch movies twice normally and so buying them through itunes makes no sense. Rent them through itunes also seems to not make sense since I can get the same 4.99 movie rentals from redbox for little more than a buck. My question is this - Is the Apple superdrive worth the 80 bucks or is there a cheaper and better alternative that works nicely with the Air?

I have the last updated version 1.6 i5

Thanks in advance for any help you may offer.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I loved mine except I used it maybe twice. I sold if off for a pretty fair discount; you can pick them up much cheaper than retail nowadays.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
you can get an external USB to ATA DVD drive enclosure for $10 or less on eBay/Amazon.

you can get a DVD burner for free from any old PC laptop collecting dust in your/your friend's attic.

Even if you have to buy it you should find it for 10 bucks on eBay/Craigslist.

So all in all less than $30 tops.

Granted, it will not look as sleek as an original Superdrive but it will just work, with any Mac or PC. And you'll probably use it only 3-4 times a year so it's OK. You can even go for a Blu-ray combo burner/player for less than the price of a Superdrive !

eckthroi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
ok I was curious about the blu-ray thing. I watch movies often as I work 12 hours from 11pm - 11am - with 8 of those hours just trying to stay awake. My actual work doesnt begin till around 7am so I am trying to fill in time in-between. With this in mind - what eternal usb drive is the most reliable?

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Superdrive is totally worth it. I picked up a spare superdrive at half price for being open box so there's deals to be had if you keep an eye out.

I still find many uses for a superdrive so it a nice to have one on hand when needed.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
You could just get a third party DVD drive, it'd work just as well (same parts inside, really) but for a much cheaper price. A bare DVD drive costs about $30, and I don't think the casing & USB plug would add more than a few bucks to the price.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
for what are u using these drives guys ??? :confused:
Burning iMovie projects to friends, backing up photos safely (last time a thief broke into my house, he took the computers and external hard disks too... didnt touch DVD-Rs), installing programs, burning mp3 CDs for the car...