Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which iMac should I get?

• With Superdrive

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Without Superdrive

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

coolocity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2002
Central New York
I'm trying to decide which new iMac model I should get, either the high-end one, or the one right in the middle. I know the one with the superdrive is 100mhz faster, but does it function as a DVD drive as well as the one that is simply a DVD-Rom? I know the DVD-Rom can read ahead while you play DVDs to ensure no errors, does the superdrive have that same function?

- John

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
The superdrive will play dvd movies as well as burn to dvd's (dvd-rw with Toast) and cd's. Essentially, you will be able to read all cd's and dvd's as well as burn to both (cd and dvd blank media). That is why it is called a Super drive... :rolleyes: :D

coolocity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2002
Central New York
DVD-R

I wasn't really looking to buy it for burning dvds, but as long as the dvd player works just as well as the dvd-rom on the lower model, I'll go with that. Thanks a lot.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Word of advice...You must get Toast 5, it's a must if you want to do serious DVD/CD burning.
Enjoy your new iMac whenever you get it, they're great machines! :D

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by verbose101
Word of advice...You must get Toast 5, it's a must if you want to do serious DVD/CD burning.
Enjoy your new iMac whenever you get it, they're great machines! :D

I agree... Toast is the ONLY way to burn... :D

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
i wish

I wish that I would have gotten a super drive in my Quicksilver. I BTO mine with out it and now I wish I got it. My backups are getting our of hand and CD-R's are just not big enuph. I saved about $450-500 or so when I got my Mac, ... but now Im looking at spending $600 on a DVD-R

-evildead

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
evil, you know you can use the iPod as a Hard Drive. The overall process time for burning compared to data transfer w/the iPod is much faster with the iPod. Plus, you get to store your favorite mp3s on it.

If you don't have one, then you have no idea what you are missing! :cool:

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
The Superdrive as a BTO on a G4 Tower is a steal

It's only £164 to have the superdrive instead of the CDRW (which can't be worth more than £60 or £70 at a push).

If you shop around for a superdrive the same as the one the G4s come with you're looking at spending over £250 and you wouldn't get iDVD with it either, saying that, a firewire case plus the bare internal drive for about £350 as a "roll you're own" DVD-R drive could be pretty good if it works fine with iDVD and iTunes for burning.

I'm definately looking at getting a superdrive with whatever model G4 I can afford next year, even if it means going for the bottom of the range G4 just so I can afford it.

Right now, seeing as I have no need for a modem, a little playing around with the BTO options on the applestore can get me an 800Mhz G4 with superdrive for about £1500. It wouldn't surprise me if the iMac with superdrive isn't the most cost effective mac in the whole range given the LCD and 800Mhz G4. It's certainly worth the extra over the model below it if an iMac is all you need.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Originally posted by King Cobra
evil, you know you can use the iPod as a Hard Drive. The overall process time for burning compared to data transfer w/the iPod is much faster with the iPod. Plus, you get to store your favorite mp3s on it.

If you don't have one, then you have no idea what you are missing! :cool:

Im not realy in the market for a mp3 player but I did consider getting on as a portable HD. I have 2 60GB dirves right now so I can keep things backed up that way as well, But I really would have liked to have ordered the supper triver when I had the chance.

-evildead

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
I got the combo drive and its pretty darn good, its cheaper and just how many people here use there DVD burner alot,
if you need to do DVD then get one but if its just general computer use then go with the combo

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
This is the drive that Apple uses for their superdrives. OWC sells it for $340.

It's more cost efficient to buy a top-of-the-line Mac with this in it, but for macs like to eMac which don't have it or other Macs which you want to upgrade later, this is a great option which isn't as expensive as most people think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.