Superdrive Write Failure?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nomar383, Mar 14, 2008.

1. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

So I have a 1.83 macbook pro that I got off of ebay a few weeks ago. Now, after already replacing one of the fans, the superdrive is giving me problems. It reads everything pretty much fine as far as i can tell, but the writing is the issue. I have written a CD and a DVD in the past couple of days. My buddy said the CD I gave him wouldn't install the program all of the way (bout 20%). Today when I burned a DVD it seemed to burn fine, but then when I went to use it, halfway through installing the program it said it couldn't read some part of a file it needed. I know the DVDs and CDs probably aren't the problem because I've used this blank media on my old G4 Powerbook and they burned fine. I also know the software I am trying to install is fine because it loaded up the DMG and installed just fine from there. All Software updates have been run and I can't actually ever recall burning anything up until now.

The SuperDrive I have now only does regular DVDs and CDs, no dual layer (I've heard it was a space issue in the early MBPs). Should I just buy a External DL Burner? Or should I look into replacing my SuperDrive with a new one? What should I do?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Clean the drive. Use a CD/DVD drive cleaner with brushes, I did it on my PowerBook would not read any burned discs, but would burn discs. Now it works!

TEG

3. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

Thx, I'll give it a try and report back. Should have done that first anyways! lol

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just make sure you don't the fluids some of them come with and try not get one with really hard brushes.

5. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

Well, I cleaned it with one of those disc cleaners (non liquid btw thanks) and it appears to have burned the test disc perfectly and the app installed okay, so I guess that fixed it. *Shrugs* there you have it, thanks guys