SuperDrive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sjtmd, Jun 7, 2019.

1. sjtmd macrumors newbie

I have a 2018 MacBook Pro and needed a drive and purchased the Apple USB SuperDrive and USB to USB-C adapter. Wondering if Apple will update the drive to have its own USB-C cable? I’d buy a new drive if they made one that didn’t require an adapter.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Probably not, why update it, when they can sell you two things instead of one. I think the need is fairly low at this point, so they'll not update it

3. sjtmd thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting point of view. While having a drive is becoming less and less necessary over time, some folks still need one and I’m a bit surprised they don’t see that updating it to USB-C connection and speed would be a welcome change..

4. dwfaust macrumors 601

dwfaust

I'm still holding out hope for a USB-C or Thunderbolt 5¼" floppy drive. At this point, I'm pretty sure we will never see a USB-C/TB drive for 8" floppies. #sigh

5. dwig macrumors 6502a

The only change in the SuperDrive that Apple should consider it to move to having removable cable. That way users can simply select an appropriate cable. Having a micro-USB-B 3.0 connector on the drive would allow any micro-USB cable, either 2.0 or 3.0 versions, to be used and the user would have their choice of a USB-A or USB-C connector on the other end.

There are a number of drives available from other manufacturers that use removable cables. Given that optical disks and floppies and antique tech, these usually are tray loading mechanisms and continue to use the older mini-B connector on the drive. Mini-USB to USB-C cables are readily available, as are min-USB to USB-A. My wife's Toshiba drive works this way and has be fine for the limited use she has for older media.

6. Marc_S macrumors member

Marc_S

Agree. If Apple does update, it'll cost 6 times as much as a 3rd party drive anyway because that's Apple ;) so buy a 3rd party one.