Superdrive...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benorcutt, Jan 3, 2008.

1. benorcutt macrumors newbie

the Super drive has gone out on my Macbook. i have been searching online to buy a new one and have found some choices, but i have also found that the Mac Mini has a Superdrive now, and the Mac Mini option is at least $50 cheeper then the one advertised for the Macbook. My question is, are they actually the same thing just advertised differently? could i replace my Macbook Superdrive with the Mac Mini version and save a bit of cash? thanks.

2. FanOfMac macrumors newbie

Might your Superdrive be covered under AppleCare?

3. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

What do you mean by "gone out"? Are you sure its non-functional? It may be salvageable. As for the Mac mini superdrive question, I don't have an answer but I can tell you that you're in dangerous territory.

I had a superdrive die out of warranty not long ago and had it fixed free-of-charge. Its worth a shot.

4. eman macrumors 6502a

If your superdrive is not under Apple warranty, look for a UJ-857 superdrive, these will fit your macbook.

5. benorcutt thread starter macrumors newbie

i have already brought it to the Mac store, i am no longer under warrantee and they are charging nearly $400 for part and labor. i can get the part online for waaay less then that. anyway, the part is not salvageable, it literally quit working, it no longer accepts disks of any kind, the motor doesn't kick in to pull the disk at all. the guy at the apple store said it was an unusual problem and all they could do was replace it....

so yeah, i was just wondering if the parts were interchangeable.

thanks.