Superdrives = Crap?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by $MacUser$, Feb 26, 2010.

1. $MacUser$ macrumors 6502

I had a Powerbook a few years ago. It didn't take long for the Superdrive to go belly up. Now I have a Mac Mini, and again, it didn't take long for the combo drive to start going south.

Are other people having trouble with Mac's slot-loading drives?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Optical drives fail, always have. That said, in my experience slot loaders are slightly more prone to dust buildup than tray loading drives; my MBP got to the point it wouldn't reliably read discs after about two years, but after being cleaned it's fine. Lost a slot-loading drive at work to dust as well, but that one is located in a machine shop so is exposed to ridiculous amounts of dust.

Otherwise I haven't noticed a failure rate any higher on the drives Apple uses than any other manufacturer.

3. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

HATE THEM, HATE THEM, HATE THEM. I find that they are completely unreliable and fail all the time. I purchased an external DVD writer and that is what I use on my MBP. The super drive has been out for a long time.

4. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

My SuperDrive was replaced 5 months ago on my MBP because it was making all kinds of weird scratchy noises. Burning a CD / DVD was so unbearable. The amount of noise that the drive would create was deafening. It sounded like something was going to explode.

That was 5 months ago and now, the noises are occurring again.