Superdrives, Soundcard & X1900XT

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zooburner, Jul 3, 2007.

1. zooburner macrumors newbie

Hiya there

Having read few threads on here about slow Superdrive performance on NEC/Sony drives while ripping cd's I decided to give Apple a ring to ask which drives they were using.

When i spoke to the very polite fella on the phone and asked him wether they were using Pioneer drives or Sony drives, he said that he couldnt tell me as it was a trade secret !! He then said i could order it and send it back if i didnt like it, when i pointed out that was a bit drastic a solution to simply letting me order poineer drives with my order, he just huffed and shrugged even after i had pointed out that i could simply look at the drives once i got them and tell what they were, so why not tell me now.

Once we had agreed that he was not in a position to let me in on apples ''trade secrets'' I asked him about the Motherboard and its sound system, at first he said ''sound system.. what do you mean'' I had to carefully explain that i meants the onboard sound chip and motherboard.. what make are they, He said that this too was a trade secret and couldnt tell me, and that its was apples own configuration.

I wonder if anyone could give me the above info !!, I must say im a bit miffed at a computer maker who wont tell you what they put into a machine before you order!!.

Okies third question, by this time i had lost confidence in the fella on the phone to give me any accurate information at all so i will ask here.

I've noted various threads on the X1900XT being a noisy card, what do users think, is it noisy, is it a good card ??

Looking forward to you comments, but do remember not to tell me any ''trade secrets'' now wont ya !!

zoo

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

The Superdrive is a Sony, at least according to a Dutch Mac Magazine. It is rebranded with an Apple sticker on it and special firmware, disabling its native speed, probably to keep the sound to a limit. There is a firmware hack/update that let's it read and burn on it's native speed.

3. CyberPrey macrumors regular

My superdrive was the pioneer... Meh, its ok...
    Audio system seems to be a realtek..
    X1900 is noiser than the 7300 thats for sure... but not nearly as noisy as my 7800GTX SLi setup....

4. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

Apple uses several vendors for their Superdrive, so they can't guarantee you a particular brand.

It's unlikely an Apple salesperson is going to know the brand of the Superdrives they use or the soundcard. They aren't Apple technicians, they low-paid sale staff. They know as much as a Futureshop or Best-buy salesperson knows about all the products they sell.