SuperDuper and Maxtor One Touch External FireWire... how to boot to FW?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sean Dempsey, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I bought SuperDuper just now, and am using a Maxtor OneTouch I've had a while to copy the system drive to it.

The SuperDuper website claims that if my main drive fails or something goes wrong, can boot to the Firewire drive and restore it to my main system drive, is this correct?

The SuperDuper manual isn't making sense to me. If my main drive fails, I throw it out and buy a new one. So now I have a blank drive, and a external firewire drive with a copy of my system on it. So now, I boot to the Mac install CD, and restore from the firewire to the blank new drive?

Is that really how it works? And then I just select the new drive as the system drive, and I'm back up and running (to whatever point my latest Superduper backup was at).

Is this all correct? Where does one select which drive to use as the system drive?

2. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Ok, you dont need the restore CD's if you have a bootable image that you created with SuperDuper on an external drive. All you have to do is have the new blank disk and the Bootable external. When you start the computer, hold the option key. That will present you with an interface to select the bootable drive. Select the Firewire disk and boot into OSX. Then you can simply use SuperDuper to clone the Firewire drive onto the blank internal drive. Thats all that needs to be done. At the end of the cloning simply restart the computer and hold option again selecting the internal drive this time.

3. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Does the data on the Firewire drive have to be a literal image file? from what I understand, the Firewire drive will just have files and folders like my "Macintosh HD" system drive.

4. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Its not an image. Its the exact copy of your Macintosh HD, from the OS to your personal files.