Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EV0LUTION

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Florida
I just received a copy of snow leopard (the WWDC preview) from work and I would like to upgrade my mac, however I'm scared I will loose all my data in the process and the world as I know it will end. (I have a time machine though)

I was thinking, can I make a bootable copy of my current disk (which is leopard) with SuperDuper, boot into that hard drive and upgrade it to snow leopard; with out any changes being made to my MBP's hard drive? Basicaly have no changes made to my MBP's internal HDD so I can boot back into leopard.

Just to clarify, this procedure in theory should work:

1. User SuperDuper to make a Clone of internal HDD to External HDD

2. Boot into Cloned External HDD

3. Install Snow Leopard on Cloned External HDD

4. Have fun in Snow Leopard Land on Cloned External HDD

5. Restart and boot back into Leopard (10.5) on internal HDD

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Why is your work giving out copies of 10.6 when you have no idea how to install it?

EV0LUTION

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Florida
Why is your work giving out copies of 10.6 when you have no idea how to install it?

Because I, being the curious person I am, asked for it.

We have 2 copies and they let me have one overnight to install it or try this, which I hope works.

EV0LUTION

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Florida

4. Have fun in Snow Leopard Land on Cloned External HDD

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

4. Have fun in Snow Leopard Land on External HDD

Why not install Snow Leopard on the external and migrate over your user instead?

EV0LUTION

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Florida
Why not install Snow Leopard on the external and migrate over your user instead?

I tried around 5:30, Formatted External to GUID and what now, half way through the process SL rebooted my system or something and the whole upgrade quit

slpdLoad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
When at all possible, avoid Migration Assistant.

The OP's original plan was perfectly sound, and will work great. When you are confident that SL is going to work for you, clone the external over to the internal drive and use the external for TM.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

The OP's original plan was perfectly sound, and will work great. When you are confident that SL is going to work for you, clone the external over to the internal drive and use the external for TM.
What wrong with Migration Assistant for the user space?

EV0LUTION

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Florida
Bring up the installer log and have it show everything when you're booted off of the DVD.

I think it tried to boot off the dvd, but instead ended up doing a normal restart.

I started the upgrade while my mac was on, should I boot into the CD?

Sorry I sound so newbish here guys, I'm a web designer and hardly ever do anything like this.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I think it tried to boot off the dvd, but instead ended up doing a normal restart.

I started the upgrade while my mac was on, should I boot into the CD?
Unless they've completely changed the installer it'll have you boot off of the DVD if you use Finder to change your startup disk and reboot.

Otherwise holding down Option or 'C' after the boot tone does effectively the same thing sans privileges.

EV0LUTION

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Florida

TM?

slpdLoad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
What wrong with Migration Assistant for the user space?

In theory nothing, but I've seen it screw up plenty of machines in one way or another. You're transplanting a user into a new system.

It certainly has its uses, but if you don't need it's functionality, it is inferior to a clone.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
In theory nothing, but I've seen it screw up plenty of machines in one way or another. You're transplanting a user into a new system.

It certainly has its uses, but if you don't need it's functionality, it is inferior to a clone.
The clone is going to be much more time consuming though in this case and not really necessary with Migration Assistant and Time Machine.

EV0LUTION

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Florida
Unless they've completely changed the installer it'll have you boot off of the DVD if you use Finder to change your startup disk and reboot.

Otherwise holding down Option or 'C' after the boot tone does effectively the same thing sans privileges.

ah OK, I did boot off the DVD, however half way through the process it decided to reboot, (i'm assuming to the DVD) but instead of booting to the DVD it went back to my desktop.

I have removed the DVD since as I gave up at one point, until I had this little epiphany, so I don't know how to get at the installation data.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
ah OK, I did boot off the DVD, however half way through the process it decided to reboot, (i'm assuming to the DVD) but instead of booting to the DVD it went back to my desktop.

I have removed the DVD since as I gave up at one point, until I had this little epiphany, so I don't know how to get at the installation data.
If the installer fails, since you booted off of the DVD using the keyboard shortcuts, it will default back to your original startup volume which is going to be the onboard disk in this case.

EV0LUTION

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Florida
If the installer fails, since you booted off of the DVD using the keyboard shortcuts, it will default back to your original startup volume which is going to be the onboard disk.

Crap...

OK well I guess I'll give this Clone Idea a go, and let you guys know how it works out.

From the posts above, it sounds like a clone is the best way to go here.

badgolfer

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
I just received a copy of snow leopard (the WWDC preview) from work and I would like to upgrade my mac...

Just did it myself:

1. Updated Leopard backup to Time Machine
2. Superduper Clone of existing Leopard to external USB HDD - Make sure it boots - test it!
3. Install Snow Leopard on MBP internal drive
4. Migrated everything (if you want everything) over from Time Machine

It worked for me without having to reinstall many applications. The only application I did have to reinstall was Littlesnitch. Cyberduck also did not load (I might have an old version) .

Definitely seems snappier booting & loading applications.

Good luck!

EV0LUTION

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Florida
I just received a copy of snow leopard (the WWDC preview) from work and I would like to upgrade my mac...

Just did it myself:

1. Updated Leopard backup to Time Machine
2. Superduper Clone of existing Leopard to external USB HDD - Make sure it boots - test it!
3. Install Snow Leopard on MBP internal drive
4. Migrated everything (if you want everything) over from Time Machine

It worked for me without having to reinstall many applications. The only application I did have to reinstall was Littlesnitch. Cyberduck also did not load (I might have an old version) .

Definitely seems snappier booting & loading applications.

Good luck!

I want to install snow leopard on my EXTERNAL HDD not the internal...

It's installing now, hopefully nothing bad will happen that I can't fix

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.