Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
I only use SuperDuper! http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html to do a daily backup. It is more stable of a backup and never misses anything like how Carbon Copy Cloner did when I used it.

This program seems to have a lot more features than just backing up. It can repair permissions too. If you register you can even run scripts and do a smart backup.

I don't need to register though; all I need it for is a daily hard drive backup. I run it every day before going to sleep. It backs up my data and repairs my permissions with one click of the mouse. Great deal for free if you ask me.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Yep, it's a great program, and I would totally recommend it over CCC.

I did end up paying for it, though, to support the developers and because their customer support is superior. It's $15 more than CCC, but I think it's worth every penny. Especially if you've been stuck with abysmal software like Retrospect in the past.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Hemingray said:
...Especially if you've been stuck with abysmal software like Retrospect in the past.

Hey... don't knock my Retrospect! :)

It does a great job on our network backup and duplication -- it may have an incredibly dry interface but it's as solid as a rock.

I love it... well, admire it, to be more precise.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Another happy SuperDuper! user here - although I'm not a big fan of the exclamation point. Ah well, you can't have everything :p

I like the way SuperDuper! hold your hand through the process - and explains upfront what all the options will do rather than having to go trawl through help sheets.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Blue Velvet said:
Hey... don't knock my Retrospect! :)

It does a great job on our network backup and duplication -- it may have an incredibly dry interface but it's as solid as a rock.

I love it... well, admire it, to be more precise.

Okay, here's why I hate Retrospect: :)

I purchased 5.1, and a few months later, they came out with a new version with no upgrade special pricing, if I remember correctly. Then it stopped doing automatic updates when I upgraded the OS, and of course since 5.1 was old news now, I'd have to cough up more dough to get 6.0 just so it would work properly. Not cool!

Plus, I find the whole proprietary one-file backup annoying. With a clone you at least have access to the individual files without any additional 3rd party apps. Oh well, to each their own. :)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Hemingray said:
I find the whole proprietary one-file backup annoying. With a clone you at least have access to the individual files without any additional 3rd party apps. Oh well, to each their own. :)

Fair enough, but when you're doing a network backup a compressed progressive backup as one file is easier to deal with, especially when duplicating the backup with its logs etc.

I would never dream of using it at home.

thecow

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2003
Timonium MD
I tried SuperDuper! and I hated it. It took 2 hours to copy 12.5 GB of data that Carbon Copy Cloner can do in about 30-40 min. I think that is a little pathetic. I did the math and it comes out to about 1.7 MB/second. This was from an internal 5400 RPM drive to a FW 7200 RPM drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.