SuperDuper backups....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ifti, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Ifti macrumors 68000

I create backups of my system with SuperDuper.

Rather then create a brand new image for small changes can I, for example, just overwrite files in the image with more recent ones - my documents or my mail database, etc??

Im assuming I can just make changes to files in any areas other then the system folders, and have them restore if need be in the future?

Could I, for example, attach my drive with my SuperDuper image, and then replace my iPhone backup folder with a more recent backup, or replace my documents with updates etc?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

SuperDuper creates a bootable clone copy. As such you can copy whatever you want back to your directories.

3. PilotWoo macrumors regular

You have just listed the features of SmartUpdate, one of the main features of SuperDuper!! This will incrementally update your backup with just the changed files. It works a treat.

4. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

Im not really after incremental changes. I like to keep a 'clean' image of a fresh system, and just add updates, such as iphone/ipad backups, documents, mail etc, into the image, rather then backing up everything again.

If I add a new app, for example, rather then create a whole new image, I want to just be able to add the app into the applications folder in the SuperDuper image - hence if I ever need to restore, the app will be there.....

5. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

Thats exactly what smart update does, instead of cloning everything it only updates what has changed since the last back up.

6. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes I understand that, but I dont want EVERY change in the backup. Only the changes I choose to be in the backup..........

7. PilotWoo macrumors regular

8. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

Then manually changing the files would be fine. As long as the system files aren't changed you'll still have a bootable backup.

9. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

Excellent, thanks!

10. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Yes I understand that, but I dont want EVERY change in the backup. Only the changes I choose to be in the backup.........."

In that case, take a look at CarbonCopyCloner.

It is similar to SuperDuper, but offers more options.

For example, CCC lets you do "incremental" backups (as does SuperDuper), but CCC lets you pick _which_ folders are to be copied. That means you can direct CCC to copy _some_ changes, but leave other folders untouched.

It also gives you the option to "archive" changed files. That is, it will do a full incremental backup (so that your backup resembles your source), but in addition, it will copy those files that were changed/removed from the backup to an archive file.

CCC is a free download from:
    http://www.bombich.com/

11. alainr macrumors regular

superduper or carboncopycloner for newbie?

i have a 24" mac and use time machine on an external hard drive. From info in these forums, i learned that TM does not give a bootable copy.

Is it easier to use carbon copy or superduper for a non techie?

2nd issue: i want to move my raw photo files onto an EHD to speed up my mac. Do you recommend backing up the photo EHD to another hard drive or online storage like crashplan?

12. endless17 macrumors member

Carbon Copy Cloner is about as mindless a tool as you can use to create bootable backups.

You choose your source drive, select the destination, and start the process.