SuperDuper!, Carbon Copy Cloner, or Time Machine?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thriii, Dec 9, 2009.

1. thriii macrumors 6502

I currently have time machine set up but im thinkin about wiping it for 1 of the other 2 solutions and I was wondering what is the best solution before I decide to replace time machine if I decide to.. Are there any reasons for using one over the other?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

SuperDuper! isn't free, so that is a downside, but it can do incremental backups. IIRC, you can also schedule it to run automatically.

The biggest advantage of TM is that it is easy to set and forget. It's built in, so you don't have to worry about it.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Carbon Copy Cloner finally does incremental backups and is still free. SuperDuper! doesn't have much if anything over CCC now.

Personally, I use TM on our machines and it's saved me from a hard drive crash ending in corruption twice (old PB G4). Honestly, it's built in and does the job fine. As Ron Popeil says, "set it and forget it."

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I did not know that, thanks.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I thought it had done incremental backups for a while now?

Re: SuperDuper... it's not free, but ShirtPocket support is excellent. If you get an error and submit a ticket, they'll probably respond within an hour or two. Can't say the same for CCC.

6. jamin100 macrumors 6502

I use both Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner.

I use time machine daily to backup to an airport extreme attached USB hard drive.

Then also use CCC to make a fully bootable copy of my HD about once every 3-4 weeks.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

I use both SuperDuper and time machine, each to a separate external firewire drive. This gives the best of both worlds.

If you install and update that makes a mess, you can simply boot the superduper clone and recover, while time machine is good for recovering individual files.

Always better, in my opinion, to have more than one backup strategy.

8. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502

i do have an external im not using at the moment so ill probably go with time machine for daily backups/single files and CCC to make a bootable copy of the HD.. I have a HD just for my Boot/Apps and the other HD is where I have all my data like pictures/documents... so I would use CCC for the Boot/Apps and time machine for the Data HD right? or do I just want to get both HDs in Time Machine and CCC?

9. gvegastiger macrumors regular

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, it does. Every hour.

11. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502