SuperDuper + external drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by btownguy, Aug 13, 2009.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502

I'm going to get an external drive to use with my MBP and Time Machine. I'm also going to store clone backups on an external drive that I'm going to keep away from my house. I'm planning on using SuperDuper for the clone backups. I'm going to have image backups of other Windows machines on that external drive as well. So, will I have to create a special partition for the Mac to store SuperDuper backups? Or can it save them to the same partition where I'm storing my Windows image backups?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yes. If you're using SuperDuper, then you plan on making a bootable clone. To do that, it must be HFS+. You should have a separate partition for your SuperDUper clone and one for (I guess) Time Machine, and one for your windows stuff.

3. kaarup macrumors member

Can I use SD to clone a windows drive to use with Bootcamp?

I'm planing to install a 500GB drive and divide windows and OSX 50/50, but need to clone my work PC (security VPN etc) and have it as bootcamp drive instead of having two computers with me

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

5. bigaudiofanatic macrumors regular

Unless the partition on the external is fat32 it will not be recognized on a windows computer nor bootcamp.

6. kaarup macrumors member

The program yes, but can I connect the two drives to the Mac and then clone drive a -> b via the Mac?

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

No, that won't work either. However, there is a program called Winclone that CAN do this on Mac OS X.