superduper hard drive space

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NoBob, Jul 2, 2007.

1. NoBob macrumors member

I'm planning to create a partition on an external HD and to use SuperDuper, but was wondering if a 170GB partition is okay? My HD's 160GB. Am planning to do full weekly backups rather than the incremental type.

Thanks.
    NoBob.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

superduper doesn't do 'true' incremental backups as it is so yeah you'll be fine. 160 would work even since it'd match your drive.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

My system right now is to create bootable backups using Carbon Copy Cloner, it works great. I just delete the older backups as I need the space, and I also backup to DVDs. And as long as your alloted space on the external hard drive is bigger than your internal hard drive, you should be fine.

4. skierdude macrumors member

skierdude

for a back up drive I use the notes section of my 60G ipod. Its better than buying a really expensive external hard drive, that is if you have an ipod with alot of memory:)

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

a couple of problems with this imo.

1. ipod gets damaged all your stuff is gone. and the ipod is more likely to get damaged since its mobile.
    2. this is increasing the work of your iPods tiny drive. which are fragile as it is.
    3. external drives a cheap and easy to come by today.

6. clickclickw00t macrumors regular

not to mention if its stolen, ur screwed...

if you have important data, thats a BAD BAD idea

7. NoBob thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all.

A couple of other things -- I've been looking for a backup software that does compression, like Acronis True Image (which I used to use on a PC). Does CCC do that? I've had a look at the website but didn't see it mentioned.

And can you restore individual files and folders with SuperDuper?

8. WirelessInn macrumors regular

NoBob, I know, I know, this is a Mac zone...
    I do wish however to follow up on your experience with Acronis TI. I'll appreciate your input very much. Did you use the Home of the Workstation versions - Networked environment or not?
    The Acronis folks are not too helpful in my experience: they only want to sell me the whole network installation (megaclams!!), knowing that I operate a biz network. I'd prefer to go workstation by workstation at first (my main backoffice computer needs reliable backup in place THE MOST)
    Could you outline for me the steps you go thru to get yourself a good, reliable image of a Win computer installation with Acronis, ready to be slapped back onto "bare metal" (Acronis' statement!) if necessary (HD failure for example). Any incremental backups available to supplement the imaging? I run a Winn network at my business, with back office computers driving Win Point of Sale workstations with scanners, etc...

Of course, I am also asking all this to help me select a good, reliable way to implement backup on my new MBP before I start loading it up with all sorts of valuable data. Mac OS does not offer much to facilitate backup - the DiskUtility>>NewImage tool is not really useable very conveniently: no scheduling, and especially, it has to be used from rebooting into the Mac OS Install DVD No1!!!

- Roger T

9. mikehallsted macrumors newbie

mikehallsted

with acronis true image, if all you want to do is go workstation to workstation, the home version will work just fine.

once you install acronis, you will then have the option of making a bootable cdrom. once you create the acronis bootable cdrom, you can stick it in any computer and boot that computer and make an image (as long as the BIOS options are set to boot from a cd).

this is what i have started to do at my place of work where i play computer guy. we have around 15 computers. i bought a bunch of used cheap 10gb hard drives. i stick the 2nd hard drive in, boot with acronis, and then image it to that 2nd hard drive. i also have a nas setup, [[ using NASLite ( a linux NAS that boots from a floppy for older computers) ]] where i then copy the image acronis made as a backup in case the computer's power supply shorts and smokes the computer ( which has happend twice now depsite the UPS's )

about a year ago, acronis gave away v7 of true image, which is what i use. i would think that this would work the same with their later versions.

hopes this helps.
    toodles,
    michael

also, with windows computers, if you have the gparted livecd, you can partition and format hard drives in a gui to your hearts content, very handy and open source.

10. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

I used to use CCC, but I after I moved to a MBP, I couldn't get it to produce "bootable" clones that actually booted. That's when I tried SuperDuper, which I found (IMHO) to eclipse CCC in every aspect. And the clones boot beautifully.

EMC (formerly Dantz) Retrospect will do scheduled compressed incremental media-spanning backups to DVD and hard drive (and any other media you fancy). It's a bit fiddly, and it's not Universal, it's not cheap, but it does the job.

And yes you can restore individual files and folders with SuperDuper. Just mount your cloned drive and pick out the files/folders you want using the Finder.

SL