SuperDuper in Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dacreativeguy, Nov 17, 2007.

1. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

I know that SuperDuper isn't Leopard Compatible yet, but I'm wondering if I can still backup my Leopard drive using SD by booting into Tiger and then cloning the Leopard disk to an external drive. My assumption is that SD can't run in Leopard, but copying all the files shouldn't be a problem. Right?

2. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

superduper works fine on my imac leopard 10.5.0 system.. had no problems doing a backup..

3. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Have you tried booting from the backup? I assumed the Leopard compatibility issues would be about blessing the drive and therefore being able to use it as a startup disc.

I still have a bootable clone of my Tiger system from almost a month ago...been waiting for the update to start cloning my Leopard system.

4. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I wouldn't rely on that as my only backup. Why would the developer say it isn't fully compatible with Leopard with everything worked nicely??

5. chatoyer macrumors regular

The developer does not recommend using it Leopard, but work is progressing on the Leo version.

6. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

I'm 100% superduper, but previously had successes using Carbon Copy Cloner, which IS Leopard compatible.

Time Machine does what i need in terms of backup (non-work stuff on my Macs mostly), so I haven't bothered with CCC 3 yet and will wait for SuperDuper's update.

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

7. kostia macrumors regular

Super Duper's been working fine for me, just the scheduling (automatic backups while I'm not sitting here) isn't working.

8. n8236 macrumors 65816

SuperDuper does issues w/ Leopard. I haven't had a chance to do a full restore, but it seems as though it is backing up ok. I backup weekly.

What I have noticed is that the drive you're backing up into automatically reflects that of you're trying to backup. It's like SuperDuper is confused about what drive is which.

9. mrpeepers macrumors regular

I am able to use Super Duper to make a back up, but in Startup Disk I am unable to select the external drive I used to backup my Mac HD. In other words, I can't select it to test booting from it. Has anyone else encountered this?

10. mrpeepers macrumors regular

Yeah, I can do a back up too, but I can't boot from it, I don't have the option in Startup Disk to select the external like I did in Tiger. I do have the option to hold down the option key at startup to select the backup drive but it won't boot, it just sits there and spins. The reason I think there's a problem is because I can't even see the drive in Startup Disk.

So, has anyone else just created a backup using Leopard in SuperDuper AND able to boot from it?

11. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

According to the SD! blog (check Dave's responses to comments), that shouldn't be possible until the Leopard-compatible release, which is currently in external user testing.

12. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

The only response in that forum thread points to Dave's two recent blog posts and some forum threads listing the same issues as in the blog. So that all seems to confirm the booting an SD! clone from Leopard isn't working yet, and that there are also issues with hard links and smart update.