SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrpeepers, Jan 10, 2008.

1. mrpeepers macrumors regular

What do you prefer? Setting aside the fact that SuperDuper is not yet compatible with Leopard, which of the 2 options do you prefer and why?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Personally I prefer SuperDuper! for it's ability to do backups only copying the changed files. And lots of people are reporting that it works well enough on Leopard: the incompatibilities appear to only be in slightly unusual cases.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I used to prefer SD! but I am one of the few who had problems on 10.5 so its CCC for me :)

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm a fan of Bombich's software, Carbon Copy Cloner being one, but Super Duper does have a much nicer interface.

I just use Time Machine at home and image with NetRestore or the System Image Utility from Apple.

5. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is what I was told when I told a buddy of mine I was using CCC. Therefore I've switched to SD.

7. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Super Duper here. It works well enough and the delta saves are key.

8. mrpeepers thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, the problem is that you can't boot from the external - at least that's what I've noticed...

Sounds like I'm sticking with SuperDuper... I paid for the software for scheduling purposes, I'm getting impatient at not being able to schedule backups at this point.

9. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

10. saxman macrumors 6502

Another vote for SuperDuper. Hopefully Leopard compatibility will come within a week

11. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

SuperDuper! But what's the deal with it not being Leopard compatible yet?? It's driving me nuts.

12. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

x2... TM is great & all, but I miss using SuperDuper in Leo.

13. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

That's not likely to be a problem with SuperDuper!, rather a problem with the external drive. Not all bridge chipsets are bootable. For example I have a number of Firewire externals, all of which are bootable when SuperDuper! makes a bootable clone. I also have a single cheap USB enclosure: this is not bootable.

14. mrpeepers thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, it's a SD/Leopard problem, acknowledged in their blog/forums. USB's are bootable, with an Intel mac.