SuperDuper! problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CaptainZap, May 19, 2007.

1. CaptainZap macrumors regular

I downloaded SuperDuper and installed it and I set it up so it is making a BackUP image on my HD in my Mac... I start it and it all goes fine... Until I get about 11 GB done and then everything stops, the timer keeps going up but none of the information is changing, anyone have any ideas what is wrong?

2. Axegrinder macrumors regular

Axegrinder

just give it longer.

I made the same mistake when I first got SuperDuper. Thought it had frozen but it hadn't.

Go and watch a TV program then come back and you'll probably find that it was ok after all.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Totally agree, when i did my first backup it got to a very large file ~5 gigs and it did appear as if it had stopped working but i left it and all was well.

4. CaptainZap thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, I think I figured it out... Since I was making a copy of my HD, and I was putting the Disk Image onto my Harddrive, once it got to the BackUp disk image, it started to back it up... But it kept growing from backing itself up, and it was stuck in a loop, and I ended up having a 73 GB disk image yet only 10 GB of data.

Is there a way to back up to my Macintosh HD without running into that problem?

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

You really need to back up onto an external medium be it an external drive or over a network.

However the help file says

6. CaptainZap thread starter macrumors regular

K, but will a FAT32 external Harddive work for backing up to a sparse disk image? I know it won't work for the normal backup.

Alright, did some reading, and I found out that FAT32 doesn't support files over 4 GB, so I'm going to reformat the external HD and then do it. Thanks for the hlep xUKHCx!