superduper the time.machine

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vigani, Jan 23, 2009.

1. vigani macrumors newbie

Using an external drive (WD) as Time Machine backups, but at the same time as another disk to store most of my multimedia files. I've read that SuperDuper is good at acting as a boot-drive. So now, I would like to backup my data using SuperDuper on my current external disk.

The problem is that I'm afraid such action might completely erase my data on the ext-disk and, well, erase everything on it.

Please, anyone who went thru this, please advise how to proceed.

2. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

super duper will erase a volume before backing it up.

3. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Do you already have an empty partition ready on this external disk? If you run Disk Utility and click on the external disk and then select the Partition tab does it show two Volumes? If not, your best bet would be to change the Volume Scheme to add a new partition the same size as the drive you want to clone and leave the rest of the drive as a partition for your data. Unfortunately, this will erase the data from the disk. If there is enough space on your time machine disk to temporarily hold your other data you could copy the data over, change the volume scheme on the data disk, then move the data files back to the second partition of the data disk and delete these files from your time machine disk. Then you can run SuperDuper! to make a clone of your primary boot disk to the new partition on the data disk.

4. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

I'm close to 100% sure that adding a partition won't erase anything (as long as there is enough free space to create the new partition).

5. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

Hmmm, I was under the impression that partitiong the drive will erase everything.

6. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

It used to. But didn't that change with Leopard (or Tiger?)? Use Disc Utility...