SuperDuper & TimeMachine

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lugesm, Dec 5, 2007.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

If I connect two external hard drives, one for TimeMachine and a second drive for SuperDuper, will the programs conflict or create run-time problems for my 24" iMac?

I want a second BOOTABLE mirror-image disk, and SuperDuper appears to be a good choice.

Thanks for your comments.
    L

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

My understanding is that they will only conflict if they happen to run at the same time. To minimize the chances of this happening, set SuperDuper to do its thing at a half-hour offset from Time Machine. Say Time Machine is set to back up at 4:23 PM and every hour thereafter. Tell SuperDuper to do its backup at, say, 3:53 AM (so it will run 30 minutes after the TM backup at 3:23 AM).

3. Feverish Flux macrumors regular

FYI, SuperDuper is not yet Leopard compatible.

4. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

OoooooK That puts it on ice for now. Thanks.

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Even though SD is not Leopard-compatible (officially) yet, I have continued my SD backups without problem--yet.

We're waiting breathlessly for Shirt Pocket to release the update, hopefully within the next couple weeks?

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

7. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

I have not yet attempted to download SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Is "bootable" a setup option in these programs?

Thanks.
    Mac Newbie . . . but learning fast.

8. slimeyapple macrumors newbie

slimeyapple

I have used SuperDuper with Leopard without any significant problems. (In fact, I do not recall any problems, other than when I restored my Adobe CS3, I had neglected to keep the registration files.).

SuperDuper does offer the option of making the disk bootable. (I think even the unregistered version does that.)

Registration is required in order to do a "smart update" of the backup you have created, allowing you to update only files that have changed, or a customized list of files.

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

But when the developer says that it is not ready for Leopard I wouldn't trust it especially considering that it is a backup application