SuperDuper! vesus Carbon Copy?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by majordude, Nov 12, 2007.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

On the basic level, yes.

On a higher level, no.

If you pay for SuperDuper!, it allows for a smart backup, which really means that it's an incremental copy & replace. Seriously reducing clone time. I believe paid SD! also provides for some sort of timed automation.

Back in Jaguar days (where there was nothing else), CCC was the way to go. I've been an SD! man for a few years now.

3. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Does SD! provide a bootable backup such that if the Mac HD fails, one can boot with a full system identical to the one that existed on the failed hard drive?

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

yes it does. Have booted of my superduper drive many times now.

5. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Thanks for the prompt reply. I just bought another external HD for my iMac. The existing external HD is used for Time Machine.

I am hoping that I can run both drives, the second with SuperDuper as a bootable reserve in case of disaster within the iMac.

6. -Alan- macrumors member

Yes. But I'm waiting for a Leopard compatible update. Hopefully it'll be soon...Time Machine just isn't enough. :)

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

That is exactly what I am doing.:)

8. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Very helpful. Thank you!

I am new to the Mac (15 years of Windows in the dark past). May I contact you if I get confused as I set up the 2 ext HD system?

Thanks,
    LGS

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Yeah sure thing, no worries. But as -Alan- said Super Duper only has preliminary support for Leopard at the moment. Haven't used it myself on Leopard yet. So perhaps it would be best to wait until that is sorted out before using it.

10. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Good advice. Thank you. I'll wait and watch.

Regards,
    LGS

11. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Hmmm. Doesn't sound like anyone uses Carbon Copy anymore. I guess I'll try SD! too.

12. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I used to use it in my PPC days but then the switch to Intel meant that it was broke and/or very annoying. So I went looking for alternatives and came to superduper. Since then it has worked perfectly for me and the smart update (paid version) has made backing up a very quick process (15 minutes). So I have never felt the need to go back to CCC.