SuperDuper vs Apple

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Blarnld, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Blarnld macrumors newbie

I've been using SuperDuper for backups for years. Usually no problems at all and super support. However recently on my 2017 13" MacBook Pro with OS 10.12.6, the backup failed. I submitted error log to Shirt Pocket (Dave Nanian) and got a very quick response saying that my SSD was in trouble. Following his advice, "Delete MapTiles.sqlitedb, empty your trash and try again." I was able to do a successful backup with SuperDuper. He also advised me to look into my "failing drive". I ran Disk Utility First Aid on my drive and no problems were reported. I took the MacBook into Apple Store to check the drive. Apple tested the drive and said all was well. They said to only backup with Time Machine. I do backup with Time machine, but also want to continue with SuperDuper to have a bootable drive. I feel caught between SuperDuper hanging up and advising me that I have a failing drive and Apple saying all is well, just use Time Machine. Anyone else having these issues? Thanks!

2. The Hammer macrumors 6502

The Hammer

I haven't tried SuperDuper or CCC yet but am considering it. I hope you get the answer you need. I will be following this thread with interest.

3. The Hammer macrumors 6502

The Hammer

Perhaps people can suggest a reliable third party program to test your drive. For another opinion.

4. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

The included Disk Utility will say the health of your drive. It will say verified if all is well or failing if it sees a problem.

Coconut Battery can say how much writing your drive has endured. (Mac Info > i > your drive)
    Screenshot 2018-12-03 16.29.21.png