Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blarnld

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
I've been using SuperDuper for backups for years. Usually no problems at all and super support. However recently on my 2017 13" MacBook Pro with OS 10.12.6, the backup failed. I submitted error log to Shirt Pocket (Dave Nanian) and got a very quick response saying that my SSD was in trouble. Following his advice, "Delete MapTiles.sqlitedb, empty your trash and try again." I was able to do a successful backup with SuperDuper. He also advised me to look into my "failing drive". I ran Disk Utility First Aid on my drive and no problems were reported. I took the MacBook into Apple Store to check the drive. Apple tested the drive and said all was well. They said to only backup with Time Machine. I do backup with Time machine, but also want to continue with SuperDuper to have a bootable drive. I feel caught between SuperDuper hanging up and advising me that I have a failing drive and Apple saying all is well, just use Time Machine. Anyone else having these issues? Thanks!

The Hammer

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I haven't tried SuperDuper or CCC yet but am considering it. I hope you get the answer you need. I will be following this thread with interest.

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
The included Disk Utility will say the health of your drive. It will say verified if all is well or failing if it sees a problem.

Coconut Battery can say how much writing your drive has endured. (Mac Info > i > your drive)
Screenshot 2018-12-03 16.29.21.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.