SuperDuper vs. Time Machine vs. Migration Assistant

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chefwong, Feb 25, 2011.

1. chefwong macrumors regular

Late 2008 MBP running SL.

New MPB on the way.

What is the best way to *clone* my drive to my new MBP.
    Does all 3 do the same function just as effective.
    What route would you take.

SuperDuper, Time Machine or just the built in Migration Assistant

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You won't be able to clone Snow Leopard onto a Powerbook. Powerbooks do not have Intel processors, and therefore will not run Snow Leopard.

3. simsaladimbamba

This might help:
    MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

Though using cloning software like CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper might introduce problems, as the new MBPs do have drivers that older MBP does not have yet.
    Why don't you use the Setup Assistant during the first startup of the new Mac to transfer everything?

Btw, "PB" is short for "PowerBook", the predecessor of the MBP, which is not compatible with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

4. chefwong thread starter macrumors regular

I recall reading that TM does NOT truely capture all the applications properly....

5. TheHoff macrumors 6502

You CANNOT clone on to one of the new MBPs. If you do you will still have to re-install SL to get all of the new drivers.

So your choice is to clone anyway and then perform a re-install using the provided new SL disc or you can just boot up to the new HD and then Migration Assistant your user back to it.

You will not be able to just clone and go. It fails on boot-up. If you do re-install over it after cloning, there is no worries, your user and settings will remain.