SuperDuper vs Timemachine...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NStocks, Mar 23, 2009.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

I need to start backing up my Lightroom Catalog so that all my changes are backed up. Right now I use Time Machine, but I've heard that Pro's use super duper for backing up their files. Why is this ?

What can super duper offer that Time Machine can't ?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

SuperDuper creates a bootable backup disk; you can simply boot from it very quickly. With TimeMachine, you have to go through a restore process.

3. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

So which works better ?

Well which would work better for what I need, which is to backup ALL my Photo's and catalogs. ( if there are any Lightroom users reading this, can I use LR to backup EVERYTHING to a specific folder upon launch... I know it can back up the catalog )

NStocks

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

I cover my bases and use both. You can have an external disk with half of it your boot backup and the other half your time machine partition. I actually have two externals, one is the boot backup plus extra data, the other is time machine stuff.

5. pooky macrumors 6502

I do the same, but with two separate drives. One is a clone of my hard drive created with superduper and updated once a week. The other is the Time Machine backup drive.

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

The answer to that question can really only be answered by you really- if you are concerned about having past revisions of photo edits available to restore, you would be best suited by using Time Machine for its archival qualities. If you are just concerned with having an accurate up to date backup that is a duplicate of the source drive then SuperDuper (or my preference Carbon Copy Cloner) would be the answer for you.

Or as suggested above, both solution used together.