SuperDuper! wiped my External... HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ehmjay, Aug 30, 2009.

1. ehmjay macrumors member

So... here's the deal:

in prepartation for snow leopard I decided i better do a backup of my drive. I turned to trusty old super duper...
    i
    did a backup using "smart update" which in the past has left all my files on my external drive intact and copied over my main drive. however today it decided to simply erase the drive and then do a backup. It's NEVER done this before in the past, and i've now lost everything on my media drive: music, photos, movies, everything.

i dont know if theres a way i can get around this but honestly I feel like im going to be sick now... any help would be greatly appreciated.

can i recover what was lost? or am i completed effed in the a? the irony: doing a backup and in the process losing everything that counted.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Stop using the drive.

Now, you might be able to recover the files with Data Rescue II, it's expensive, though.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Stop using the drive and get something like Data Rescue II. If SD wrote over the old disk space, you're probably screwed.

4. chriszzz macrumors 6502

I'd hardly call $100 for a decent data recovery application 'expensive'.

5. ehmjay thread starter macrumors member

well the superduper backup wrote to the drive obviously but i haven't written anything to it since then...

god i feel so ill. lol

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You're right. It's expensive to buy on a whim, but if I accidentally erased my photos or music - I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

7. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

I have an external drive partitioned into a FAT32 and an NTFS. I no longer needed the NTFS partition so I used Disk Utility to erase the NTFS and format it to use with SuperDuper.

Disk Utility ended up formatting the whole frick'n drive, so I lost everything on the FAT32 drive as well. P!ssed off, I downloaded the trial of Disk Rescue and performed a scan. Disk Rescue was able to identify the files on the formatted partition.

I ended up ordering Disk Rescue from Amazon ($56), and it looks like I'll be able to recover the data. Until Disk Rescue arrives, the drive is powered down.