SuperDuper won't backup MBP Hard Drive-Giving Error Code

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by markw10, Apr 29, 2012.

1. markw10 macrumors 6502

I have a OS X Lion 10.7.3 based Macbook Pro and use the newest version of SuperDuper to do backups. I back up to an OWC external hard drive. I have used this system for around 3 years on multiple laptops/drives with no problems.
    For some reason it won't work now on my Macbook Pro. When I backup it fails at a certain part of the backup. I thought it was simply my system had too much open and was running slow so did a restart and didn't open anything other than SuperDuper but that did not fix it. Then I thought it was a bad Firewire 800 cable so tried a 2nd one with no luck. Then I tried a USB 2.0 cable with no luck.
    I then figured that either my laptop's hard drive or my OWC hard drive is going bad. I realized that the error where it fails occurs at the same part of the backup almost everytime.
    I then realized you can view the log of the backup and I did that and looking at the bottom I see where the problem is. Here is that part of the log:

| 02:50:17 AM | Info | /Users
    | 02:56:21 AM | Info | /.Trashes
    | 02:56:21 AM | Info | /.Spotlight-V100
    | 02:56:21 AM | Info | Preserving /.Spotlight-V100
    | 02:56:36 AM | Info | /.MobileBackups
    | 02:56:36 AM | Info | Error copying /.MobileBackups/Computer/2012-04-22-102239/Volume/Users/Mark/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/mt8wlqz7.default/Mail/Local Folders/AVC.sbd/Ordered Items to /Volumes/OWC On The Go/.MobileBackups/Computer/2012-04-22-102239/Volume/Users/Mark/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/mt8wlqz7.default/Mail/Local Folders/AVC.sbd/Ordered Items of type 8 due to error 28
    | 02:56:36 AM | Error | SDCopy: Error copying /.MobileBackups/Computer/2012-04-22-102239/Volume/Users/Mark/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/mt8wlqz7.default/Mail/Local Folders/AVC.sbd/Ordered Items to /Volumes/OWC On The Go/.MobileBackups/Computer/2012-04-22-102239/Volume/Users/Mark/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/mt8wlqz7.default/Mail/Local Folders/AVC.sbd/Ordered Items of type 8 due to error 28: No space left on device

I don't know enough about this type of thing to know what the means. I use Mozilla Thunderbird for email and Ordered Items is one of my categories on the local computer in Thunderbird.

Does this appear to be a problem with the hard drive or is it possibly some type of corrupt file that I have to remove or repair?

Thanks for your help.

2. Ifti macrumors 68000

I would say its a corrupt file rather then bad sectors on the drive.
    Can you remove the Ordered Items category temporarily? Back it up somewhere else and then remove it from the drive before starting another backup.
    Also, try running some like Onyx to fix drive and permission errors. I personally always run Onyx first before I create a new backup, just to clear all logs, caches, fix permission errors, etc - so I know I have a good backup once it's complete.

3. willieva macrumors 6502

You can also try posting your question on the shirt pocket site. The help there is very good, often the guy who wrote super duper will respond quickly.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Items of type 8 due to error 28: No space left on device"

How much room is left on your backup drive?

5. dakwar macrumors 6502

I had a similar problem a couple year ago. Turned out I was trying to backup to a FAT32 drive. i.e. a drive with max allowed image file size of about 4GB. I reformatted the drive to exFAT and that fixed it.

6. markw10 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not sure why it's giving the no space left on device error code. My internal MBP hard drive has 145GB free and the external backup drive has approximately 260GB free.

i'm glad to hear that the maker of SuperDuper offers such great support. Believe it or not I emailed a company back in Nov. that just responded 2 days ago. They apologized that they are short on help at the moment :)

Either way I only had one item in the ordered items folder so I copied it to another temp folder, deleted the folder, made a new ordered items folder, moved the item back, and now am backing up. The backup is running as I type this but so far it has made it well past the part where it was failing so unless there's another corrupt file it appears that everything is fine now. I'm glad that's all it seems to be and isn't a bad drive, backup or MBP internal.

Thanks for all the help everyone offered and I'm going to check out that Onyx program that was mentioned.

Of all things in addition to this MBP I also have a Mac Pro. It has 4 internal drives in it and I opened Disk Utility on it tonight and one of the internal drives says in red that it's failing. The smart status is failing. I did scans of it with Disk Utility (Verify and Repair) and it's showing it's fine but I assume this SMART status means it's failing soon. Does it ever give false alarms and when it shows up does it mean that a failure will happen very soon?

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I'm not sure why it's giving the no space left on device error code. My internal MBP hard drive has 145GB free and the external backup drive has approximately 260GB free."

Suggestion:
    Download the free CarbonCopyCloner app, and try re-creating the clone using CCC instead of SuperDuper.

I have heard that in certain instances when SuperDuper encounters a problem with a specific file (or several files), that it will abort the backup.

Whereas CCC will "keep going"…. and complete the backup task.

Give CCC a try, and let us know what happens next….