superduper?!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by OrangeCuse44, Apr 16, 2007.

1. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

I have an external HD on its way so that i can create a copy of my machine using SuperDuper! For obvious reasons i want to make sure that if anything happened to my MacBook all is well. I am also interested in installing Parallels shortly and was wondering how that would affect my backup? Would SuperDuper work the same when making a bootable backup with parallels and the virtual windows machine in it?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

SuperDuper clones the entire hard drive and any files that change (assuming you pay for it). If you set up Parallels to use a VM file (as opposed to using it w/ BootCamp partition), then it will get cloned as well. And if something on the VM file gets changed, then it's checksum will change, and it will get backed up as an incremental change as well. As far as I know, SD won't touch a BootCamp partition.

3. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

What would be my best move then, making a boot camp partition then installing parallels in it or straight up parallels?

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That depends on what you want to do with Windows on your Mac.

Something that requires intense video card action (3D gaming? 3D modelling?), then Parallels isn't going to do what what you want it to do.

5. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

All i want to do is utilize Ruckus. My university is on the network to legally download music but it's exclusive to windows. Im assuming parallels would handle that fine.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow