SuperDuper

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by skd, Feb 6, 2008.

1. skd macrumors 6502

Will SuperDuper make a clone of my entire computer which includes a mac partition and a bootcamp (windows) partion? Or will it just clone the mac partition like time machine?
    thanks

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

SD will only clone the Mac OS X partition. you can use Disk Util or WinClone to clone the Boot Camp partition. of course the external disk you are cloning Boot Camp to has to be NTFS or FAT (which ever you chose).

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

OS X only I'm afraid, you'll have to find another utility for the Windows parition - might want to check out Disk Utility though...

Also, keep in mind that SuperDuper is not currently compatible with Leopard. If you read the updates over at Shirt Pocket they say that the next update is imminent, but who knows how long it will actually be. ;)

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yesterday... :D ;)

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

WOOOO! time to overwrite my Tiger clone

7. skd thread starter macrumors 6502

so what is the difference between time machine and SuperDuper?

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Time Machine lets you go back to your files as they were at different points in time.

SuperDuper gives an exact clone of one given drive to another from whenever you performed the clone.

9. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

OS X only. They just released a new version yesterday and it is now Leopard compatible.

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Nice! You're really on the ball with this one, aren't ya?... :p ;) :D

11. bartelby macrumors Core

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No no, Bastardville is simply a municipality within the realm of Bastardia. I've simply extended my influence and power. :D :cool:

13. bartelby macrumors Core

Are you sure you're not just a token figure of royalty?

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No no, I engage in many bastardly acts with my people and lead the charge myself when we wage war against rival kingdoms such as and Smartassville, Knavetown and Scoundreltania. Victory shall be ours! :cool:

P.S. Hijacking threads is bastardly. I approve.

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I've. Been. Waiting. A. Long. Time. ;)

Seriously thought, I'm used to running SuperDuper! (at least) once a week, and having a 3 day old clone back when my HD died made that more of a nuisance than the disaster losing all my data would have been.

Really been wanting to get those clones back, I was saved by my Time Machine backup when my system totally crashed last week, but I'd been even better of with a bootable clone... reinstalling OS X (twice, just to be sure) and then transferring back the system could have been too time consuming if I had something that was really pressing...

16. skd thread starter macrumors 6502

"SD will only clone the Mac OS X partition. you can use Disk Util or WinClone to clone the Boot Camp partition. of course the external disk you are cloning Boot Camp to has to be NTFS or FAT (which ever you chose). "

How can I tell which format (NTFS or FAT) the external disk is?

thanks

17. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

should show up in disk utility click the drive look at bottom of screen

18. skd thread starter macrumors 6502

so I want to make a clone (or is it called image) of my bootcamp from disk util - th window HD partition is in FAT 32 format - for the external HD I have that partitions into two parts - mac and windows. When I click on the windows partition of the external hard drive the format reads mac os extended. Do I need to change that and how is that done?

19. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

This is one of the reasons I think I would prefer a solution such as SuperDuper over Time Machine. With Time Machine, there is still work involved to recover from a hard drive failure, i.e. reinstalling the OS, etc. as you say. With SuperDuper, as long as the backup drive is bootable, you could run your whole system off it, correct?

I have no back-up solution right now other than burning my most important documents and my pictures off to 2 DVD-RWs every month and storing them off-site. I'll probbaly pick up an external drive in the near future, but as my iMac is only 3 months old I should be sdafe from a HDD crash for a little while I would hope. :eek: ;) Then, instead of taking a couple discs to work I'll have to take a hard drive, but it won't be that much more of a inconvenience. ;)

20. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yes...

I actually did this when my HD died... but since booting and running the system from an external USB drive isn't actually the fastest, I soon migrated some key files (and some important passwords from a Keychain secure note) over to my (backup) iBook and continued working from that while the MacBook was being fixed (I got them to change the slightly yellowing hand rests, too, when they took it in anyway...)

21. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Gotcha... yeah, running it as a primary drive off USB 2.0 would be slow as a permanent solution, but better than nothing as an interim fix. Would FW400 have made much a difference in your opinion? Might be something I want to consider when I buy my back-up drive.... I'm just thinking worst-case here, i.e. my iMac's HDD eventually fails, I can't replace the drive for obvious reasons, and will need to run the system from an external HDD until I decide to get a new machine... ;)

22. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

How does SuperDuper for Leopard handle the Fusion/WinXP portion of my primary hard drive when it makes a bootable backup?

Do I need to exclude Fusion/WinXP ? Or is that not possible?

Thanks for your help.

23. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Any change made to the VM will make TM back the whole thing up, and you can exclude it if you want.

24. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Thanks, psychofreak. I understand that any change in the VM causes a major backup effort by TM. I am wondering if I should exclude TM from the SUPERDUPER bootable backup.

25. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It depends whether you care about the increased time needed to back up the data.