Superduper

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chihiro, Oct 2, 2008.

1. chihiro macrumors regular

hi

I already have created a bootable external hard drive, (Mac OS Extended Journaled), with Superduper
    I would like to ask you when i do sthe new to a folder already copied there or install new thing application
    is it going to be updated automatically on the bootable harddrve or I have to 'tell' to Superduper ,or?

thank you

2. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

In order for things to stay in sync, you need to run super duper on a regular basis.

For instance, I super duper each night to another HD.

that means if the dog eats my main hd at midnight, I can boot up with the other HD and be right back where I was.

Only super dupering every few days leaves you with a clone that is not up to date and in your case, might not have an application you just installed.

also, you can set up SD to work by itself at a certain time. and as you prob. know, now that you did the first clone, each time you run SD, the time it takes to clone again is much much much less time.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

If I understand your question right, you are asking whether or not a new application for instance that is newly installed on your original drive is copied over to your backup automatically right?

If that is the case then no, not automatically. You need to set up a schedule and re-run SuperDuper periodically to update the backup you previously made.

Note that if you are using the free version of SuperDuper, it will not update your backup but instead will erase the backup drive each time it is run and re-copy your entire drive.

To solve that you need to pay and register your copy of SuperDuper- after you do that you can just do "incremental backups" which only copy over new and changed files which will only take a few minutes each time it is run.

If you really don't want to pay (although it is worth every penny in my opinion) Carbon Copy Cloner is offered as a fully functional shareware alternative. A donation is not required to use the software fully, but a small donation is appreciated by the developer- and again it is well worth a donation for all the work these single developers put into these essential applications IMO.

4. chihiro thread starter macrumors regular

i have a registered copy

so how I do I make a schedule that SuperDuper periodically updates?

is it the same command: backup all files?

5. chihiro thread starter macrumors regular

when I run SuperDuper again, to add the new programs or change the files, which of the following options to choose:
    -backup all files
    -backup user files
    -sandbox

i have registered the Superduper so ,when I press copy all,it wont erase everything,right?
    (because it is saying if I press copy it will erase everything)

6. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

You would probably be better off asking here. Dave is a really nice guy, and he answers all questions promptly and clearly.