Superfast Internet Grid Under Construction

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by S600MBUSA, Apr 6, 2008.

1. S600MBUSA macrumors regular

I did a search and browsed through the forum looking to see if this was posted previously; I didn't see it anywhere.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article3689881.ece

It's an interesting article, but probably a little sensationalistic in its predictions.

2. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

So basically the article says that fiber-optic data transmission is faster than copper? That fiber-to-the-home is the way of the future?

Breakthrough! :rolleyes:

Still, I'll definitely look forward to faster internet. I still remember the exact day I first looked at my computer and realized that without an internet or phone (modem) connection, it was useless to me.

3. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

What makes this Fiber optics different than FiOs? That''s what I got now. Bigger Fiber optics?

Eh Phone modem, I'd die using a phone modem. I wouldn't be able to live w/o broadband.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

In the end with FiOs it still has to run though the old copper wire system for the last part of the trip to your computer. Now if our computer where directly hook up to the fiber optics it could mean something different.

Also do not forget our computer still connect with modems routers and everything else over very VERY old technology.