Superficial (minor) damage to Magsafe Port

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by osnola ibax, Aug 16, 2015.

1. osnola ibax macrumors member

osnola ibax

Hi folks, I know this is a very OCDish question here but do any of you ever experience superficial chips / scratch marks to the MagSafe Port / surrounding case from popping in and out the charging cable?

Like the chips I've highlighted with red circles in the attached image. This mac is only a week old.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've never noticed anything like that on my rMBP, but I've never looked that close. The MagSafe port on my mid/late 2009 13" MBP ended up pretty damaged after a while.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

Actually this question has nothing to do with OCD. OCD is not the same thing as being anal retentive.

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yes it happens over time, not usually that quickly for me but snapping on and off metal against metal will have to have some effect, it is however worth it in my opinion to have the best safest and easiest charging solution on any laptop ever.

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Return it. If that little "damage" bothers you in that area, doing the job that it does, then you will clearly never be happy. I suspect my port has more damage after 4years but I never look (and I'm not going to now) - really, either take more care or stop looking so close.

7. Dubadai macrumors regular

Dubadai

I have seen that on all my friends Macs, and seeing how they put the plug in and take it out it doesn't surprise med that there are scratches around the magsafe.

I can't judge you since I don't know how careful you are with the magsafe, but it wouldn't surprise me if its a sign of rough plugging/unplugging.

I wouldn't worry about it, keep the computer!

8. Niarlatop macrumors member

My 3 years old MacBook Air doesn't have scratches on the edges of the MagSife like yours.

However you wouldn't like to see the inside of the port, it's full of dents coming from the magnet clashing the metal each time you connect your MagSafe.

9. Rusty33 macrumors 6502

Rusty33