superglue

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Souljas, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Souljas macrumors regular

Just a question..My fountain pen handle part broke and I have used superglue to mend a small crack in it, but I was just wondering how safe dry superglue actually is? is it safe to be handling it on the pen throughout the day, and if touch my eyes is it going to be safe?

2. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

Eh.. Some super glue has a residue that comes off/flakes off. I don't know if I would touch your eye though.

Don't be like me though and find out exactly how strong super glue is... I still have a little scar on my thumb...

And don't mix it up with personal items... Like the kid from American Pie 2... That was just wrong.

~Crawn

3. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

depends what kind of resin

but deff do not touch your eye's, maybe safe to when dry but check

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

once it dry just rub the crack a little to get off t he residue. As for safety and being toxic do not worry about it. Super glue is used quite often by people to seal up small wounds.

5. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

by what people? :confused:

6. gonyr macrumors 6502

7. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

By lots of desperate field surgeons in Nam.
    I've used it a few times while backpacking/hiking.

@OP
    I wouldn't give a second thought to using your pen - the ink inside of it is more hazardous than the super glue in my opinion.

8. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

I had a patient that emptied a bottle of fingernail glue (same stuff as superglue) into her eye thinking it was eye drops. Since cyanoacrylate glue cures upon contact with water, all she managed to do was seal her eyelids shut, with basically no damage to the rest of her eye. I still would not recommend touching your eye without cleaning glue, or any other substance, off your fingers first.