Supermarket Chain Publix Says It's Rolling Out Apple Pay Support All Stores [Update: No]

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 30, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Florida-based supermarket chain Publix, which has over 1200 stores throughout the southeastern United States, has announced (via Reddit) that it is rolling out support for Apple Pay to all of its stores "within the coming weeks."

[​IMG]

The news comes via Publix's Twitter account yesterday, responding to a customer who asked about the lack of support for Apple's mobile payments system.

Not all of Publix's Twitter support agents appear to have been briefed on the news, however, as just in the past few hours other responses to customers have simply offered to "share your suggestion" with the customer service or payments team.

There have been scattered reports of Publix testing Apple Pay in a few stores for a while now, but it looks like a full rollout is finally underway.

Update 8:00 PM: In a follow-up Tweet, Publix now says its initial response was "incorrect." Publix is actually rolling out its own Publix Pay system.

Article Link: Supermarket Chain Publix Says It's Rolling Out Apple Pay Support All Stores [Update: No]

2. elvisimprsntr macrumors 6502

Welcome to the 21st Century Publix!

I think that leaves Walmart as the last remaining holdout from defunct MCX/CurrentC.

3. iAVERY macrumors regular

FINALLY!!!

4. sputnikv, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019

sputnikv macrumors 6502

sputnikv

5. munpip214 macrumors regular

Yes, Walmart please do it. Then I could actually leave my credit cards at home

6. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

About time. Super happy about this and can’t wait to use it.

Anyone who doesn’t live near a Publix is missing out :)

7. HMFIC03 macrumors regular

HMFIC03

Now if only H.E.B. would take it!

8. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

I probably sent them 30+ emails over the last year to add this. About everytime I went in I’d leave feeling like I wish they add Apple Pay already!

9. Robert.Walter macrumors 65816

Kroger and its vassal subsidiaries are all Apple Pay hold outs.

10. Jyby macrumors 6502

Update: No

Another reason Wegmans is the best grocery store in the US.

11. iAVERY macrumors regular

Just deleted the publix app off my iPhone. I want no part of this garbage.

12. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

It's time for payment networks (Visa, Mastercard, etc.) to start mandating NFC support to be enabled in all payment terminals. This is getting ridiculous that a fast, secure, and standard form of payment is being disabled on purpose for stupid reasons in the US.

Chase is issuing NFC capable credit cards now (as in, you can tap the card itself like Europeans have been doing for years), maybe if more banks pick up on this there will be pressure to get NFC working universally.
    --- Post Merged, May 30, 2019 ---
    Whoah. The tweet mentioning Publix Pay was deleted. Maybe "Monique" screwed up and it really IS Apple Pay?

13. GTDaveMac macrumors regular

There are still a bunch of tweets on it if you go to their account and select tweets and replies. The more attention this gets right now the better. Please post your displeasure!

14. QquegChristian macrumors 6502

Ugh. As a food photographer who does all my shopping at Publix, I need this now. Especially since I always have to do chip/pin for two transactions back to back as I can’t mix personal/work groceries on the same receipt.

I’ll use “Publix Pay” if they give me 5% off like Target. Otherwise, it was always kind of nice that Publix didn’t stoop to the loyalty tracking stuff of other grocers.

15. tmiw macrumors 68020

My theory is that the holdouts are the same ones that aren't fans of the whole card interchange system in the first place. Not that they'd necessarily prefer that people use cash instead, mind you, just that they'd at minimum prefer to pay much less than the ~3% per transaction the highest tier cards command (and ideally closer to 0%).

Anyway, charge a few tens of bpp less for NFC transactions compared to swiped/inserted ones and I bet many of those holdouts will fall over themselves to promote its use.

16. calstanford macrumors regular

Hahaha how pathetic. Even they don’t know their own payment system which obviously no one will use.

17. grobik macrumors member

grobik

Then four months later when "Publix pay" fails they roll out unbranded support for Apple and Google Pay. *cough cough, target*

18. Wolffie macrumors regular

Wolffie

19. centauratlas macrumors 65816

centauratlas

Publix is just being stupid. Otherwise they are a fine store.

20. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

What I don’t understand- here in Germany, I think not a single store “supports Apple Pay”- yet you can use it everywhere where there’s a wireless terminal.
    Is it different in the US in stores like this one? Do they somehow block Apple pay or what?

21. mikethemartian macrumors 6502

Are they still around? I remember there was a controversy over whether or not they were mislabeling expiration dates.

22. Maetzle macrumors regular

Maetzle

Do those stores have NFC compatible terminals already and are just blocking Apple Pay from them? Because even when Apple Pay wasn't launched in Austria a friend of mine who came to visit could pay everywhere that had contactless payment terminals for regular contactless-enabled debit/credit cards.

23. NAStarr macrumors newbie

What a terrible idea. Nobody wants “Publix Pay”. Basically this is Publix: “we know what you want, we don’t really care, we made this instead... hope you like this after we got your hopes up about what we know you want.” They should just cancel all they’ve put into “Publix Pay” and just get the real thing. #applepayornothing

24. ke-iron macrumors 65816

My new Amex platinum card has the WiFi looking symbol on it, so it too can be used as nfc tap payment. They also support Apple Pay so I use that instead.

25. neuropsychguy macrumors 65816

neuropsychguy

We stopped going to Publix once Aldi came to town. Quality is similar for food and prices are much lower. Publix is a great supermarket but or grocery bill would be 25-50% higher if we exclusively shopped there. Apple Pay at Aldi works well.