Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fiatlux

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
I was happily running 10.3.2 on my Mac Pro with RX 580 without any performance issue (I had fixed the sleep issue by doing the plist edit mentioned in the other thread).

After the recent supplemental update, it looks like my card is no longer properly recognized as I only have basic screen display: screen refreshes very slowly with "blinds" effects, some programs even show empty windows (e.g. Spotify), scrolling is anything but smooth. In one word, it is barely usable to read mail and browse internet, if that much :(

Any clue?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
I was happily running 10.3.2 on my Mac Pro with RX 580 without any performance issue (I had fixed the sleep issue by doing the plist edit mentioned in the other thread).

After the recent supplemental update, it looks like my card is no longer properly recognized as I only have basic screen display: screen refreshes very slowly with "blinds" effects, some programs even show empty windows (e.g. Spotify), scrolling is anything but smooth. In one word, it is barely usable to read mail and browse internet, if that much :(

Any clue?

What drivers are you using?

NVIDIA Web Drivers are now at 378.10.10.10.25.104 for 10.13.2 (17C205):
https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/378/WebDriver-378.10.10.10.25.104.pkg

fiatlux

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
I am using an AMD RX 580 card. Used to work out of box in High Sierra (apart from the sleep issue).

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
have you tried re-seating your card? sometimes that fixes weird problems like this

fendersrule

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
There's a sleep issue? That's grounds for me to replace the card with something else. On my "alt-Mac Pro" (which is a PC with the same specs as a Mac Pro built with spare Mac Pro parts), I've had a sleep issue no matter which GPU I've put into it, no matter the bios setting, and no matter the windows sleep setting. I've considered it at this point to be an Asus mobo flaw. I friggin hate it and consider it broken because it cannot sleep properly (S1 works, but S1 is pointless). It's an otherwise nice machine, which does btw have an RX 580.

On a Mac Pro, especially an older energy hog that has dual boot functionality, being able to sleep and wake properly is an extremely important time and energy saving feature.

fiatlux

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
have you tried re-seating your card? sometimes that fixes weird problems like this

LOL, no - but I can always try.

I cleared the NVPRAM/PRAM and (re)disabled SIP just in case but no progress.

Worst case I can always go back to the GT120 but that is really worst case :(

fiatlux

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
FYI I did an in-place MacOS reinstall through the recovery console and graphic acceleration is back.

I guess the supplemental update did not like the plist mod I did to fix the sleep issue. Of course, w/o the plist mod, the sleep issue is back (it sleeps properly, it just can't wake up from sleep).

I guess it is time to consider a more permanent fix (flashing the AMD card in a Win box). Until then, I'll revert to power down the computer after use... like in the good old days!

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
FYI I did an in-place MacOS reinstall through the recovery console and graphic acceleration is back.

I guess the supplemental update did not like the plist mod I did to fix the sleep issue. Of course, w/o the plist mod, the sleep issue is back (it sleeps properly, it just can't wake up from sleep).

I guess it is time to consider a more permanent fix (flashing the AMD card in a Win box). Until then, I'll revert to power down the computer after use... like in the good old days!

Good to know it's not something more serious. Sleep issue can be worked around fairly easily for many MacPro users. I've disabled sleep, disabled screensaver (previous issue with NVIDIA web drivers), and enabled the display to turn off after XX minutes.

slamjack

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
Moscow

I have exact same story! https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/high-sierra-10-13-2-broke-sleep.2093595/page-4#post-25698299
Have you tried flashing your RX580?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.