Supplier of sturdy DVD Cases?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Zukum, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Zukum macrumors member

Anybody know a good online supplier for DVD cases? I bought a huge box of 200 for cheap online but they are VERY flimsy and my clients often say they brake. I want to find sturdy-hollywood grade cases.

2. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

3. live4ever macrumors 6502a

4. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

I'll second the Amaray cases.

I'm very picky when it comes to DVD cases. I picked up several cheap ones to test at CompUSA a while back, and wasn't happy with any of them. I don't think it looks professional to give someone a disc in a flimsy, hard-to-use case.

The Nexpak Amaray case was the US industry standard. (I've been seeing some different kinds recently.) The Amaray has a very disc-friendly push-to-release hub, and you can get an extra "leaf" or "page" to hold a second disc as well.

Nexpak also came out with the Amaray II, which isn't made of as stiff a plastic. It's OK, and you can also get an extra "page" for a second disc. I prefer the original, however, it's sturdier and the push-to-release hubs on the original Amaray case and extra leaf work a little better IMO.

(One way to tell the difference between the Amaray I and II in pictures is, the "tabs" or "hooks" to insert the extra leaf are in different places between the two. On the original, the tabs are on the inside of the spine. On the II, the tabs are between the literature clips, at the inside edge of the front cover nearest the opening.)

BTW, I didn't like the Nexpak Alpha cases I tried, it was too hard to remove the disc and you ended up flexing it quite a bit. Plus, the single divot to slide your finger underneath to pry the disc up -- my impression was it just encourages people to touch the disc surface. The Amaray cases, you just push the hub and the disc pops up.

I get my DVD cases locally, but you could use Sleeve City or google "Nexpak Amaray"... Whatever you do, try to inspect before you buy, or look at some retail DVDs with cases you like, and try to get those... Anyway, that's my 3¢.

5. Zukum thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone

Thanks for the help everyone. This is just what I was looking for.

6. Zukum thread starter macrumors member

I see the Nexpak Amaray cases you told me about, but I don't see how to add the 2nd "page" or "leaf". I see the double option on the AmarayII, but not on the AmarayI. How do I order those leafs?

7. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Here's a site which shows both:

http://www.tapeandmedia.com/dvd_cases.asp

Also, it appears there's a double disc insert tray available. Haven't seen those.

Strangely, this site says the push-to-release hub isn't available on the Amaray I inserts, but doesn't mention this on the Amaray II insert description. I thought the hubs worked better on the Amaray I insert. (It sure looks like a pushbutton hub in the picture.) Anyway, I'll double-check that this p.m. when I get a chance...

8. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

OK, checked those add-a-pages for the Amaray cases. I definitely liked the add-a-page for the Amaray I better than the one for the II.

The Amaray I page, you push the hub/button, and while the disc doesn't "pop up" like it does on the DVD case itself, instead the disc stays where it is and the hub pushes down, releasing the disc. The disc is supported all around its edges by the page, and the hub releases the disc easily. Plus, this page doesn't always rest against (cover up) your literature insert, if you have any.

On the II page, you kind of have to pry the disc up off the hub. It releases rather easily, so you don't have to flex the disc nearly as bad as, say, using the Alpha cases. However, I wouldn't call it a "push-to-release" hub.

I haven't used the Amaray I pages for 2 discs, however.

Good luck.