"Support for Third Party Storage"

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by teknikal90, Oct 16, 2014.

1. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

Anyone know how to make the new iWork suite on iOS access my documents on dropbox and OneDrive and save them there??

thanks!

2. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

In the share sheet, you have to follow the steps, and they should come up, but I think the third party storage apps have to add support for it.

3. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

so dropbox hasnt yet i take it......

4. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Share > Send a Copy > [Any Format] > Send To... > Locations > Dropbox/Transmit/etc.

Egad Apple, could you make it any more convoluted to save a file out to iCloud Drive (or others)?

Although Dropbox does have support.

5. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

thanks mate

gah. so its not like any other sane program where you can browse your dropbox...

6. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

Dropbox extension is missing some features, I think it will appear in iWork "+" popover after they'll implement the missing things.

7. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Yeah, there are two types of interaction with storage providers: import/export, and open in place.

Pages uses open in place and export. It doesn't support import. Dropbox doesn't support open in place, only import/export. Open in place is a lot harder to get right, as the storage provider has to cache the file on behalf of the app opening it, until that app releases its bookmark on the file.

It saves space and reduces duplication, but it makes things more complicated for devs.