Support in US for iPads Purchased Abroad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rhyzome, Mar 14, 2017.

1. rhyzome macrumors regular

Hey--
    I've been waiting for the 10.5 forever and it looks like I'll be beginning my 9 month journey in Southeast Asia before they are released.

If I buy the iPad Pro in Malaysia's Apple Store will I be able to get support if there is a problem with my device? (dead pixels, backlight unevenness, failures, other things not my fault, etc)

Will I get support in Asia? What about I return to home sweet home in NY?

2. HDFan macrumors 6502

Can't speak for Asia, but I've had software issues with my iPad in Europe and South America and have had no problems with support, other than the language issue. In Argentina (no Apple Store in Buenos Aires) they have a call-back system. You use a web app to give them your phone number and they call you back. I initially selected Spanish as my language, but as my Spanish wasn't up to the task when they called me back they switched me to someone who spoke English. I finally realized that it was easier to specify my location as the U.S. and got the callback from there. I wasn't worried about phone charges as I'm on T-Mobile.

Before making such a large investment I would check with Apple. There are Chinese models of iPhones which might cause a problem in the U.S. as they wouldn't be stocked. Don't know if this would be an issue with a Malaysian purchased iPad.

3. ericwn macrumors 65816

Apple's warranty is worldwide in the sense that you'll get support anywhere where they actually offer support and service.

4. rhyzome, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017

rhyzome thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks...it appears that there actually isnt a brick and mortar Apple Store in Malaysia or other parts of Southeast Asia I'll be going to, from the Philippines and Indonesia to Taiwan!

Do devices from _authorized_ Apple resellers (of which there are many in my destinations) qualify for the usual warranty?

I suppose if I used the online Apple Stores for the country it would work?