Support of AW0 beyond watchOS3.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by satchmo, Nov 17, 2016.

1. satchmo macrumors 68000

Many have said the Apple watch is simply a tech gadget with limited shelf life. That it's no different from an iPhone and after a few years, you'll need to upgrade hardware to run the software.

I recognize the need for progress, added functionality and moving the platform forward, but I would hope watchOS3.xx would remain supported with minor updates for AW0.

I know this is not an Apple thing to do. They naturally want new sales revenue and to prevent fragmentation of the watchOS. But perhaps it doesn't have the newest features of watchOS4, but just the core functions of a watch and notifications.

This would at least extend the life of the AW0 for early adopters and especially those buyers of the Gold Edition.

2. KrisLord macrumors 65816

Apple was selling AW0 until early September this year, I think it'll get updates for a while yet.

3. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I would guess that the Apple Watch original will be useful for many years as it is now. Even if it couldn't be upgraded to WatchOS4 I'm sure it'll still be usable for time, notifications, phone calls, etc.

Instead, I'd worry about how long that tiny little battery will last since it's not replaceable. I think that will be the limiting factor long-term.

4. Julien, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016

Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Pretty much standard Lit-ion duration. After about 1000 cycles it will be below 80% capacity and dropping precipitously. Unlike an old iPhone that people will use by plugging in all day and at every stop you of course can't do this with the :apple:Watch. So for those worrying about wOS4 and beyond is almost futile since there will just be a small percentage of S0's in service.

5. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

Hard to say without knowing the exact specs. If both generations have the same amount of ram at least, then expect the first gen to be supported for a reasonable period of time.

6. satchmo thread starter macrumors 68000

Watches at the very least should be able to give you the time. As long as it will I suppose shouldn't expect much more beyond that.

But if the battery is indeed non-replaceable, that stinks. More electronic waste and a throwaway item in 5 years?
    Maybe I shouldn't be surprised. My old iPods still work, but only because I pryed it open and replaced the battery.

7. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

8. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I've replaced iPhone battery's and screens before so I'm not afraid to tinker. But I don't think I'd dare do the watch. The water rating adds a whole other level of risk. That iFixit tutorial rates this operation as "very difficult" so most people would need to hire someone to do it for them.

9. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

Looking at how apple is nowadays, I will not be surprised if they say that next os iteration will not be available on the first apple watch. for sure watchos5 will not be available imho

10. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I'm wondering what would be worth adding that would make the AW0 obsolete.

Not just "could add", like the horsepower to push millions of polygons onscreen (disregarding battery drain), but "should add" to a device with interaction limitations inherent in its small size.