Support of GIF Files

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by SgtPepper12, Sep 22, 2012.

1. SgtPepper12 macrumors 6502a

SgtPepper12

Don't ask me why, but I've got this huge collection of GIF-Files. I love these GIFs. I've been collecting them for literally years. I thought – as part of these GIFs are fairly entertaining – it would be a neat idea to transfer them to my iPhone (5). That was no problem at all, surprisingly iTunes managed to recognize these files as pictures.
    But then I was very disappointed to see that the photo app does show me the first frame of the GIF, but does in fact not play them. I understand that the format is not really state of art, but still I was pretty angry, considering how old and simple it is.

So, my question obviously is: Is there any easy workaround to get these GIFs playing? I mean, Safari can play them, so the software has to be theoretically capable to do it.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Can you stick them in something like Dropbox and view them in Safari?

B

3. SgtPepper12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

SgtPepper12

No, that doesn't work I'm afraid. Dropbox open the files with the photos app as well. Thanks anyway!

4. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

5. Kyle Appleseed macrumors member

I send them with emails all the time and also iMessage plays them. I tried Notes and a notes app from the store but they didn't work.