Supported Disk Not Available Error..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by phillipsm, Jun 10, 2007.

1. phillipsm macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I was just trying to play a DVD in Front Row, but it did not recognize the disk. I then tried it in DVD Player, but got a 'Supported Disk Not Available' message.

This is a completely legit DVD and I have been able to play DVD's previously. I have never been asked to select region codes etc...

I installed Perian earlier today, thought this could be the source of the problem but I then uninstalled it and it still will not work

I'm running a Macbook 2.16 C2D 2GB RAM.

Any help is greatly appreciated in advance,

Thanks ;)

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

3. Nosebleed macrumors member

Nosebleed

Is it a different Region to the ones you've played previously?
    Some DVD drives (from New) allow you to play discs from different regions up to a limit (~5x)
    Each time the region is different a window will pop up and check with you that you want to continue.
    It will also inform you how many times you can change regions (counting down)
    On the final disk, the region that you play, is the region that will be defaulted to that drive.

So, it sounds like the disc region your playing now, is different from the ones you've played before--and therefore no longer recognised.

4. phillipsm thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried three other disks, all are the same region (4).

The disk that I was previously able to play was also region 4.

I've never seen a pop up appear to change/modify the default region

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

And did they work or not?

6. phillipsm thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, did not.

Just to clarify: these were all the same region as the first DVD that played a couple of days ago.

7. Nosebleed macrumors member

Nosebleed

8. phillipsm thread starter macrumors newbie

Logged In and Out....Nothing. Downloaded the latest version. Still Nothing.

9. Axeman777 macrumors newbie

Same Problem!

I just bought a brand new MacBook Pro 2.4GHz and I'm having the same exact problem. That is, I've tried playing a bunch of different DVDs (all the same region... I guess region 4? They're all USA discs) using the OS X DVD player and I get the "Supported Disk Not Available" message. I tried downloading VLC, and that will not play them either. (VLC gives me some mumbo jumbo error message "dvdread: read failed for -1/4 blocks at 0x01").

I haven't had any trouble reading any other discs with my superdrive so far, just now when I try to play movies they won't work. I've never been asked to enter any region info either. I would greatly appreciate any insight anyone may have into this problem.

10. Maltloaf macrumors newbie

Hi,

I found this thread after googling the exact same problem on a brand new MBP. The thing that fixed it for me was using the disk utility to repair permissions - it said that ./Library was borked, which sounds like the kind of thing that might be important. I also had a strange problem in that it hung while creating my initial user account for first login, so I ended up with two users to begin with... I wonder if that problem was related.

Don't remember that sort of thing ever happening with my PowerBook...