Supporting iPhone 3GS/Non-Retina Images & Buttons For iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by loon3y, Feb 14, 2013.

1. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

is it worth it? my old iphone 3gs is failing, and if i dont plug it in, it just fades out and turns off even if its at 35% battery

is it ok to stop testing with it? yes i know i can with the simulator but its not the same as the actual device, considering the hardware specs on it.

if i can itll be great to not carry it around as its extra baggage

im not sure if its a battery problem, but if its jsut the battery i might be willing the replace it

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I don't see a point to going through any effort to keep it running just to use it as a test device. I'd imagine most people still running on a model that old probably aren't people who download apps from the App Store.

3. loon3y thread starter macrumors 65816

loon3y

ic ic, but lets say one of our customers want to make the app international.

i know alot of people in China or india or any other 2nd-3rd world countries are still running on probably 3G or 3GS, heck i even saw some guys using the original iphone last year when i visited.

but yea, i guess im just gonna stop rolling around with it. either leave it at home or take it ot the india office to have them test on it just in case.

also what about the iPad 1? should we just move on from them? in certain cases it cannot handle our app, i dont know if its because of memory or because it just cannot handle it.

but some our customers that use our in-house/enterprise apps have iPad 1s, but its no big deal we can push them to get the newer iPads.

but for our appstore app (which is kind of a lookbook app) should we still be putting effort the support the iPad 1?

4. xStep macrumors 68000

If you don't know then you should be working to find out. I suggested in your other thread to use the profiler. It's a starting point.

As for supporting old hardware. Analysis of your user base may make that devotion easier. Also, if you require or wish to use new features in newer hardware or iOS versions, that can be a driving decision.

It's easy to come up with pros and cons to support older hardware. Making a decision on simply assuming the hardware can't handle the app is a bad decision.

5. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

If you're supporting iPad Minis, you're going to need non-Retina graphics for it.

6. loon3y thread starter macrumors 65816

loon3y

its how we built the Gridview, we have two developers working on two different apps, that use the gridview.

the consumer app loads about the same amount of grids/imageviews about 500, but it fine on the ipad 1

in the other app, it crashes after the the first 5 rows of images.

i want our app to be compatible with the oldest models and oldest iOS versions.
    seems like it wasnt because of the hardware, but how we implemented the gridview.

but yes we do use non retina images as well.

thanks for all the advice guys