Supporting Windows Quickbooks.......

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by diane143, Feb 16, 2016.

1. diane143 macrumors 6502a

At long last, I have enough Quickbooks clients to seriously consider this. Most of my work is done on client sites, the rest is done via remote logins (my preference).

I had a client I wasn't able to go further with as I didn't own a version of QB compatible with his.

I was just handed another client who only has his info entered once a year, reports run, and sent off to his accountant. This person is on QB 2015 and I do have a way around this but it would be slightly unethical (using someone else's machine for a few hours with this clients file).

So I'm ready to buy my own version of QB so I can keep moving forward in my business. Except it looks like QB 2015 and 2016 require Windows 7, and the old desktop I have sitting on the floor has XP.

That leaves me with these options:
    Upgrade that machine, I'd have to buy a full version of Win 7 Pro, under $150
    Buy a refurbished laptop with Win 7 Pro installed, also under $150 (more attractive than above option)
    Set up my 2015 rMBP to run Windows - how much would that cost and how much of my drive space would it take up? (I have a 250gb hard drive)

I'd love to hear thoughts from those who have travelled this path before me!

Thanks,
    Diane

2. Fender2112 macrumors 65816

Fender2112

I have a Mid 2010 iMac27" that I use at work. I am currently running QB 2016 on Windows 10 via Parallels 11 for Mac. I also have another Windows only app that I run. Both run fine.

I did purchase both Parallels and Windows 10. About $200 total.

For what it's worth: When I first set this up, I used a Bootcamp partition running Windows 8.1. When I upgraded to Windows 10, I moved to a Parallels "folder". (I forget the actual term.). This allowed me to reclaim some disk space. I can also do backups with Carbon Copy Cloner. As opposed to booting Windows and using a Windows backup app.

3. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

4. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry so long in coming back and thanks for the replies! I chatted with the guy who's placed me in a couple of the companies. He's a Mac shop and did the supplemental machine himself. Amazon had a huge QB sale the end of Feb and he felt that would be the best option for me right now. Just need to order that laptop! (really don't like Windows these days - yikes!)