Suppose this happens....what do you think?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbussiere, Jun 9, 2009.

1. jbussiere macrumors member

I have a 2.4 Unibody MBP that I got in December. It has a screen flicker problem and I have been at school this whole time with no Apple Store near me. So, I was planning on taking it in this summer once I get Apple Care. Suppose when I take it in they decide it needs to be replaced. Since mine was techincally the "low end" model. Will they try to give me the new "low end" model with the 9400M graphic card? I WILL NOT accept this because it means I would be downgrading to a Mac with one graphic card, especially since I use the 9600 frequently. What do you guys think??

2. edblor macrumors regular

I think you need to call the Apple Store you plan on taking it into, and ask them if it will be a problem.

However, they are most likely to tell you that they cannot diagnose it over the phone, and make no promises about future stock levels.

3. Neon1234 macrumors member

They'll probably give you then a refurbished model with two cards.

4. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

why are you worried about them replacing it...they wont...

they will simply replace the screen.

you need 3 major repairs / 3 repairs of the same part to the discretion of the apple care genius to have the notebook fully replaced.

from what i hear the screens put in the unibody's are all from the same batch of the new ones.

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

They'll more likely repair it. However, if you do get a replacement it will not be any of the new models, Apple's policy is to generally give you a replacement model that has the exact same specs as the one you originally bought, so you'll get one with the two cards, but you won't get any sort of processor bump if thats what you're hoping for ;)

6. jbussiere thread starter macrumors member

^^ Really? I've heard of people taking in their Mac's and as soon as a rep saw it flashing they replaced it on site. Oh well, as long as the problem get's fixed I'm fine. I don't want a refurbished computer, cause I'm sure mine is in better shape as I'm anal about who touches it lol. We'll see...I just hope they don't try to rip me off.

7. jbussiere thread starter macrumors member

haha. well of course I"m hoping for that, but if all else fails...at least mine screen will work properly again. If I go into the store...do they have to actually see the screen flashing to take it in for repair? Or do they take my word for it?

8. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

they replace it under 14 days, no genius would replace it just from screen flicker if its out of 14 days.