Supposed antenna improvements in the white iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saintforlife, May 1, 2011.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

So I have read posts here where people claim that the white iPhone 4 has an improved antenna design and hence has better performance. Anybody know if the same improvements have been made on the black iPhone 4?

I am exchanging my current black one at the store due to other hardware issues (home button, sleep on/off button, proximity sensor) and am trying to see if I will get a new black iPhone 4 with the antenna improvements.

2. sparkyms macrumors 65816

I don't think there any any improvements. I can make the issue happen at will. It never drops to 'no service' but always drops bars. Not really an issue to me, but I wouldn't be hopeful in getting a 'fixed' iP4.

3. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

My brother lost his original iPhone 4 last week, and the insurance replaced it.

I just bought a white iPhone (even though I have a black one & hate white). The reason is due to its greatly improved new antenna. The white is thicker due to the improved antenna.

When compared to the brand new black one my brother got, the white is far better. The difference is so dramatic, nothings been changed on the Antennagate black phone. That's a total shame.

I was shocked, yet happy I could finally buy an iPhone 4 I'm happy with. One that has a good useable phone that doesn't drop calls or break up.

My black Speck Pixel Skin case fits good since it was a bit loose on my black one.

I'm so relieved and happy to have a great iPhone now.

4. calvy macrumors 65816

I bought a white iPhone 4 and have been disappointed in it's reception compared to my old black one. However call quality is great and the proximity sensor is 1000x better. I'm thinking about swapping it for another one but I'm not convinced anything is really wrong with it.

5. jellybean macrumors regular

This is really good to hear. Are your and your brother's phone on the same network? Does his suffer from the death grip problem or just weak signal in general?

I've just sold my iPhone 4 to a friend (who didn't seem to care too much about the weak antenna) because the signal would fluctuate from five to one bars and constantly miss calls, compared to another friend's iPhone 3Gs with a solid five bars in the same location. This could give me an excuse to buy the white one :D

6. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

this proves nothing other than build quality varies between phones. it's been shown over and over: the added thickness is not due to an antenna change, but a thicker plastic bezel around the screen, probably for light bleed.

the most they would have done this late in the game is add a clear coating to the exterior antenna band to prevent 'capacitive' shorting across antenna sections, or improve the build quality. nothing to do with how thick the phone is.

7. iRach macrumors member

iRach

I have a white iPhone4, I have no issues with the sensor or drop of signal at all :)

I was waiting on the 5 but have always wanted a white iPhone, my 3GS is black and so far I'm very pleased indeed :D

8. seble macrumors 6502a

Did you previously have the black one?

9. iRach macrumors member

iRach

No, so I'm afraid I can't make that comparison, sorry :(